Arrival at Zurich airport for flight from Locarno

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2018 at 21:36:08 #815141

Hi again everyone. I am a travel novice so forgive any stupid questions!

First of all, I am not sure how early to arrive at Zürich airport for my flight. My flight from Zürich (to the US via layover in Iceland) takes off at 14:00 (2 PM) on Monday June 4.

We will be spending the last leg of our trip in Losone near Locarno. Originally I planned to stay 4 nights there May 31-June 4 and take the train from Locarno to Zurich early in the morning on the 4th.

However, looking at the SBB timetables, it’s a closer call than I thought. Would it be unwise to stay a fourth night in Losone and then take the earliest bus and train to Zürich Flughafen (airport) on the morning of the 4th? The earliest leaves Losone at 06:11 in the morning with a 3h 2m ride arriving in Zürich at 09:13. Then next arrives at 10:13. Would a smart traveller leave Locarno on the 3rd and spend the night in or closer to Zürich?

The train from Locarno to Zürich requires changing trains 4 times. Is there a notable risk of a train being late and then missing my connection? I know Swiss trains are almost always on time, but trying to make that number of connections in America seems like a disaster waiting to happen, and that’s all I’ve ever known!

If it would be wiser to stay somewhere closer to Zürich for the night before my flight, are there any recommendations for locations that are also easy to get to from Locarno?

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 April 2018 at 22:02:29 #880962

I would say midday would be the latest you would want to arrive at the airport.

How about a last night in Lugano then, direct, fast train from there to Zurich?

My trip report on Lugano at http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-reluctant-travellers-swiss-adventure-part-5 if you’re interested.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2018 at 8:19:11 #880963

Hi Jalessage,

I’d be tempted to make my last night in Lugano perhaps – for the fast trains to Zurich and the airport. But arriving by 09:13 in Zurich for a 14:00 flight is plenty. Anytime before 12:00 should be just fine.

In those situations I always catch the train or bus that is one departure earlier than the one I must take to arrive on time (in case of any issues, the next train will be ok too).

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 April 2018 at 10:07:05 #880964

Have you seen http://www.ticinotopten.ch/en /?

• The thread ‘Arrival at Zurich airport for flight from Locarno’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.