Early arrival in Zurich-what to do?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2018 at 19:42:15 #817336

We arrive to Zurich from USA (8 hour direct flight) at 8am on July 31. First hotel is in Lucerne for 3 nights right near Chapel Bridge but we can’t check in that early. Suggestions on what to do when we arrive? Rhine Falls? Direct to Mt. Pilatus, Rigi or Titlis? Not too interested in touring the big city of Zurich. Using Swiss Rail Pass. Will be jet lagged (it will be 2am USA time) but excited to begin our adventure. Any suggestions?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

autumnz
    Participant
    81 posts
    19 July 2018 at 1:47:53 #891781

Sounds like us! We leave Saturday and arrive Sunday the 22nd at 8am (2am US time). We decided, or are planning I should say, to enjoy breakfast at a cafe, and then head to a free walking tour of zurich. Taste chocolate at the amazing shops. Have lunch and then head to lucerne (we are staying 3 nts there also). We decided not to do Rhine as it was more travel time or a big excursion due to exhaustion. I am not an expert, but thought I’d share!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2018 at 6:13:50 #891782

Hi Lindalsw,

I like autumnz plan – Zurich is not a big city, just the biggest in this little country. 🙂 I’ve done the free walking tour of Zurich which was a nice 2 hours. We also have a walking tour outlined on our Zurich activities page below if you want to do it yourself. There is also lots of shopping and chocolate stores to explore, as well as a boat cruise.

If you want to stay in Zurich you can check your bags in lockers at Zurich train station.

I’d either look at something similar to her idea, or head to Lucerne, leave bags at your hotel and then try a lake cruise or mountain trip. A mountain trip may be enough excitement to beat back the jet lag.

See the activity options around Lucerne here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/lucerne/activiti es
    and around Zurich here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/zurich/activitie s

• The thread ‘Early arrival in Zurich-what to do?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.