Early January skiing in Austria or Switzerland

• Lisaocay
    Participant
    20 posts
    25 July 2019 at 13:28:21 #823052

Looking for recommendations for ski resorts in Austria or Switzerland that have good snow in early January and that are good for families

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

JaneEB
    Participant
    219 posts
    25 July 2019 at 19:13:09 #918625

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. My husband has skied in the Alps during the week just after the New Year for the past 23 years, mainly in Austria and Switzerland and has never not been able to ski. In Switzerland he has skied in the Jungfrau area, Zermatt, Verbier and Saas Fee. In Austria he skies in Obergurgl and St Anton/Lech areas.

I would think Grindelwald or Engelberg (Mount Titlis) near Luzern would be good for families.

However even though he had been lucky so far we went to the Jungfrau region one January about 30 years ago before he learnt to ski and it was very mild and muddy in Wengen. The only skiing was on the Schilthorn and the cable cars were very crowded with skiers. The World Cup in Wengen was cancelled that year.

Hope this is of help.

Jane

Lisaocay
    Participant
    20 posts
    25 July 2019 at 22:18:30 #918626

Thank you so much for responding with the helpful information!

Annika
    7115 posts
    26 July 2019 at 12:05:58 #918627

Excellent advice by JaneEB! I’ve added some links to her post, allowing you to read up on the places she mentioned. I’d also like to bring the Upper Engadine to your attention, which due to its altitude generally has pretty good snow levels: http://www.myswissalps.com/up perengadine.

Lisaocay
    Participant
    20 posts
    26 July 2019 at 21:17:49 #918628

Thank you so much !

I feel like St. Moritz will be too expensive for us. We will be coming from USA.

I will look into the other areas near there !

Annika
    7115 posts
    27 July 2019 at 5:06:34 #918629

Hi Lisaocay. I understand, St. Moritz can be pretty expensive. There are many more reasonably priced resorts nearby though. We list some suggestions at http://www.myswissalps.com/up perengadine/hotels.

Lisaocay
    Participant
    20 posts
    28 July 2019 at 23:12:34 #918630

Thank you

• The thread ‘Early January skiing in Austria or Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.