Early July weather in Switzerland

• Debk
    Participant
    7 posts
    22 September 2022 at 8:28:13 #828402

Hello

I have Been looking though this forum as it’s so helpful and have a question to ask regarding weather beginning July in the Grindewald area where we will be staying for 6 nights next year!

I’ve looked up a few websites though they differ on the weather averages and don’t seem to be Swiss websites.

We want to be prepared though not overpack. We come from Queensland in Australia so this is a warm area in comparison where in winter the averages during the day would be around 22-23 degrees Celsius (or 71-72 F). Which we would find to be cool weather.

My question is would we require more serious winter gear being up in the mountains in summer? I wasn’t sure if we need gloves and beanies neck warmers and thermals and thermal insulated jackets in summer up in that area or if this would be overkill and a sweater would be fine. We do have good walking shoes too.

thank you for any help much appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2022 at 9:18:38 #947209

Early July in Switzerland is usually warm or hot (even more so with global warming which of course is melting all the glaciers people travel to see…) I was in Switzerland in mid June 2022 and it was baking hot

You would usually need some sort of covering and possibly gloves depending on your personal metabolism for temporary use at the highest altitudes (eg Jungfraujoch) although you can be indoors at mountain top stations most of the time if necessary

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2022 at 14:11:01 #947210

Hi Debk,

Have a look at this one, it will help you to get a quick look at the Swiss weather in June: http://www.myswissalps.com/besttimetovisit. At http://www.myswissalps.com/weather you can read more details about the weather.

My experiences are that June can be hot but also rainy and cold. I know this is not a big help, but true, the weather can change very fast in June, especially in the mountains.

At high altitudes you can still expect some snow. In my opinion, you do not need extra winter clothes, but you should wear layered clothing so you can adapt to the weather. A small hat and gloves might be good if you do not like cold.

Have a look at these older threads with similar questions, you might find them useful too: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/clothing-for-late-may-to-early-june and http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/packing-clothes-for-june-1-13-2018.

I hope this helps,

Ildiko

EASW
    Participant
    122 posts
    22 September 2022 at 23:46:13 #947211

I agree with Ildiko—layers of clothing are the answer. We live in a hot climate area of the U.S. (Texas) and we found the cooler temps on the mountains invigorating this past June/July, but not cold. We wore a couple of shirts topped with a wind jacket. As we hiked, we often took off our jacket and tied it around our waist. We brought gloves, but never ended up using them. So bring a pair of gloves and a hat, but you may not need them.

Debk
    Participant
    7 posts
    23 September 2022 at 4:57:32 #947212

Ok great thank you! We will pack gloves a beanie but maybe not worry about winter thermal clothing and just bring normal long pants and a jumper and an insulated light down jacket just in case it gets colder. Hopefully that will be ok. We don’t actually plan on going to the top of Europe but we do want to do the hiking trails like Kleine Scheidegg and visit Wengen and Murren etc from Grindewald. Thanks for the tips and help!

Mmnafletcher
    Participant
    22 posts
    23 September 2022 at 12:26:57 #947213

We were in Lauterbrunnen this past summer, 2nd week in July, and the temps were in the mid to high 70s. Cooler in the morning, but beautiful during the day. We wore shorts and t shirts, but did bring packable quilted layers, sweaters and a hat just in case. Hope this helps!

• The thread ‘Early July weather in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.