Easiest alpine town to get to from Innsbruck?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 September 2019 at 2:14:24 #823846

I have some friends who want to see the Swiss Alps after spending a few days in Vienna and Innsbruck. I’m trying to help them figure out where to go in Switzerland, and it looks like all the towns I’m looking at (Wengen and that area, St. Moritz and that area) are awfully far by train, with several connections. Are there any easier places for them to get to from Innsbruck, but still get a good taste for the Swiss Alps?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    13 September 2019 at 5:25:29 #922164

Hi Juliekzp,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Chur is a small city: 3 hours from Innsbruck with one change. It’s in the north of the Graubünden canton (http://www.myswissalps.com/gr aubunden), and makes a good base for several day trips. Whether this is the best option depends on their plans. How long do they want to day, what do they want to do, where do they travel next?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 September 2019 at 17:39:49 #922165

Thank you! They only have 3 or 4 nights, then fly home to the US (probably from Zurich). So I was hoping to get them a quintessential Swiss Alps experience (they don’t need to see everything!) in just one place. My original thought is take the train to Interlaken and then maybe stay in Murren or Wengen. But that’s a 6.5 hour train ride with 4 changes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 September 2019 at 17:48:17 #922166

From what I’m reading, I’m thinking I’d like them to get a little more into the mountains than Chur – maybe Samedan or Pontresina? Looks like those would be about 5 hours from Innsbruck. Is it worth an extra 1.5 hours to go to the Wengen area? They have never been to Switzerland.

Arno
    15471 posts
    14 September 2019 at 5:57:00 #922167

You’re welcome! The St. Moritz area is wonderful and includes Samedan, Pontresina and other smaller villages: http://www.myswissalps.com/st moritz. It takes about 4 hours with two changes. The best choice also depends on the time of the year they are going: http://www.myswissalps.com/be sttimetovisit.

There are many wonderful areas in Switzerland. If travel time is important to them, I’d pick a place in the east of Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 September 2019 at 0:35:49 #922168

Stick with Chur, easy to get to from Innsbruck (one change at Buchs SG).

I don’t think you need to go south of Chur for a base.

Chur is a good place to stay, especially as a good jumping off point if departing from Switzerland via Zürich airport. Chur is in the Alps (surrounded by medium high mountains) has a very nice nice old town, parks, river, castle etc and you can do day trips all around Canton Graubünden easily from the main station as it is a nodal transport hub. Using the ‘national railway’ of Graubünden you can easily do day trips to Arosa, St Moritz, Disentis/Oberalp/Andermatt, Scuol (fabulous castle), Davos etc – all are high Alps destinations with lots of Alpine views on the way.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    16 September 2019 at 6:03:13 #922169

Davos.

• The thread ‘Easiest alpine town to get to from Innsbruck?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.