About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Easiest lake walk in Zermatt to see the Matterhorn
MySwissAlps features commercial and non-commercial links.

Easiest lake walk in Zermatt to see the Matterhorn

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Swede4life
Swede4life
53 posts
Aug 26, 2021 - 5:18 PM

Hi, could someone recommend a reasonably easy lake hike to have a great view of the Matterhorn. Some of the hikes appear pretty daunting. Like the enclosed. Thanks.

Attachments
Ildiko
Ildiko
1263 posts
top member &
Aug 26, 2021 - 5:28 PM

Hi Swede4life,

I think this is the one you are looking for: www.myswissalps.com/hiking/rotenboden-riffelalp. That is an easy walk from Rotenboden to Riffelalp, íou can reach the start point with a funicular to Gornergrat (www.myswissalps.com/gornergrat).

Here you'll find more hiking routes: www.myswissalps.com/hiking/. Use the filter to narrow down your search (Valais - Matter Valley).

I've also done the 5 lake hike, it was also an easy hike (we walked with 2 and 5 years old children (we carried the 2 years old in a baby carrier), it is a longer one than the previous one but very famous and beautiful. Here is an older thread about it: www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/5-seenweg-5-lake-hike-in-early-may

Take care,

Ildiko

More about Zermatt: www.myswissalps.com/zermatt

Last modified on Aug 26, 2021 - 5:29 PM by Ildiko
Swede4life
Swede4life
53 posts
Aug 26, 2021 - 6:22 PM in reply to Ildiko

Thank you.

pkerr
pkerr
202 posts
Aug 27, 2021 - 5:48 PM

Just an FYI about the 5 Lakes walk. I did that back in September of 2019 and was a bit disappointed by the overall "ambience" of it. Some of it was on dirt access roads as opposed to trails on hillsides and woods.

Don't get me wrong as I had some of my favorite pictures taken on that walk. (see attachment) It just wasn't as picturesque as I was expecting… and the lakes were more like little ponds.

Attachments
Anna
Anna
1411 posts
top member &
Aug 27, 2021 - 7:20 PM in reply to Swede4life

Hi Swede4life,

Head for Leisee on Sunnegga. It's just a short funicular ride up from Zermatt and then a short walk from the Sunnegga station to the this small lake with an amazing view of the Matterhorn. There is a restaurant with a big terrace overlooking the Matterhorn too. This lake is quite popular and does get crowded as it is the easiest to get to. About CHF18 return (half price with the Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card).

Regards,

Anna

Last modified on Aug 27, 2021 - 7:30 PM by Anna
Attachments
Swede4life
Swede4life
53 posts
Aug 28, 2021 - 11:49 AM in reply to Anna

Thank you..

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2021