Easiest ways to get up and down in Lausanne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2020 at 19:07:41 #825282

I saw in another thread about locals knowing where the best ways are to get up and down in Lausanne. (Elevators, less steps, etc.) Is there a map or do you just have to find out by trial and error. My husband has a bad knee so trying to minimize some of the ‘climbing’. My apologies for losing that thread. Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2020 at 19:59:12 #930453

Hi Kathcoulter,

I am living in Lausanne (http://www.myswissalps.com/lausanne) but unfortunately I’ve never seen any maps like that. If you take bus number 6 or the metro to Bessières (name of the station) then you are almost on the same level as the Cathedral. From there you need just to walk down (usually).

My other advice is to use as much the public transport as you can, perhaps it will help you a bit. The system is quite good. If you are staying in a hotel in Lausanne, you’ll get a free Lausanne Transport Card: http://www.myswissalps.com/lausanne/travel.

Here is a self-guided walking tour: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/lausanne.

Ildiko

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 February 2020 at 10:00:32 #930454

Hi Kath –

<<” Is there a map or do you just have to find out by trial and error.”>>

Indeed, Lausanne is on a hillside. About 300 meters altitude change from the lake shore to the park near the top.

There is a way to help to do that using some Swiss Maps.

This one shows bus/transport stops very clearly, if you turn them on in the menu ( under Points of Interest/ traffic- the star in a circle). It does not show altitude, but it is very clear on the location of the stops:

map.search.ch/?pos=539304,152060&z=128&poi=bergbahn,haltestelle,zug

Mouse over an icon for a station, and you get the exact name of the station/stop, as well as which routes stop there.

This topographic map is more complex unfortunately , but it does show altitudes. It is possible to turn on a map layer for public transport stops. I did.

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=en&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe&catalogNodes=1392,1538,1396,1430,1436&layers=ch.swisstopo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege,ch.bav.haltestellen-oev&E=2537630.86&N=1151504.60&zoom=9

The altitudes are shown throughout in meters, with the lake at about 374 meters.

In theory, Google Maps street view might help…I tried a couple of spots and it was not to useful for me, but, you may find it works for you.

Finally, I suspect that the Tourist Information Office might have a useful map …worth a look, at least.

http://www.lausanne-tourisme.ch/en/

There is one office near the main station, at Place de la Gare 9.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2020 at 11:05:44 #930455

Hi Slowpoke,

I’ve read that it is even 500 m elevation difference from Ouchy to the top, (Chalet-à-Gobet). 🙂

The topographic map and the Tourist Information Office are good ideas. There is also one Tourist Office next to the metro station in Ouchy.

Ildiko

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 February 2020 at 12:58:51 #930456

Hio Ildiko-

Thanks. I was not sure where the “top” was, perhaps not actually in Lausanne?

‘ve read that it is even 500 m elevation difference from Ouchy to the top, (Chalet-à-Gobet). 🙂

In any case, it is a substantial climb, and a sore knee would also be bothered by a going down, as well as up.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2020 at 13:18:12 #930457

Yes, right. If it is 300 or 500 meters, it doesn’t really matter for bad knees.

I just mentioned it as an interesting thing. As far as I know Chalet-à-Gobet is part of Lausanne, at least according to it’s postal code and also to Google Maps, I’ve just rechecked now.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 February 2020 at 13:32:11 #930458

<<“As far as I know Chalet-à-Gobet is part of Lausanne, at least according to it’s postal code “>>

Thanks. I could not tell quickly from the maps.

Although this map, does show the city boundaries:

map.search.ch/Lausanne?pos=539616,153608&z=32

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2020 at 16:08:16 #930459

Thank you Slowpoke and Ildiko for the great suggestions. I will check them out.

Kath

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 February 2020 at 16:38:10 #930460

Hi Kath-

I forgot to mention that the topo map also gives bus stop and station names. Click on the icon, and a menu will appear with name of stop, and next departures to various destinations

I’d be surprised if any of the bus routes do not stop at the main station.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Easiest ways to get up and down in Lausanne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.