Easily going to/from Murren several times a trip?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 January 2019 at 2:37:58 #819706

Hello! My family is very interested in staying in Murren because of the views. We would plan on staying there for two nights, three days. We have plans in Murren, Lauterbrunnen, and Grindelwald.

My concern is the bus ride and cable car taking 25-30 minutes down and back every day from Lauterbrunnen to Murren. Is it as inconvenient or expensive as I’m thinking? Does it make sense to stay in Murren when we will want to visit both sides of the valley, or is staying in Lauterbrunnen itself a better choice? My family really, really wants Murren, but I’m worried that extra 30 minutes up and down with get tiring and/or take time from other activities.

Thank you so much!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    31 January 2019 at 4:36:53 #903237

Hello Sarah Nicole and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Here’s what one of our Jungfrau experts has to say on the villages . . . . “Lauterbrunnen is a very small village down deep in the valley with imposing cliffs above. Therefore it doesn’t get as much daylight as the villages up the mountains do. There is quite a bit of car and bus traffic through the little village and limited selections of restaurants and food stores. During the high summer seasons (July and August) there is a “college student backpacking around Europe” vibe. There is not much there in the way of sightseeing/views, other than the glorious walk down the valley floor (which can also easily be done from Wengen or Mürren). The positives are that there is a fairly major train station there (although Wengen and Mürren are only 15 and 18 mins, respectively, up the mountainsides) and lodging is less expensive (there’s a reason).

Getting up into a car-free village gives one a much more “old Switzerland” feel. You can’t go wrong with either Mürren or Wengen. We prefer Wengen because we like the views better from there (jaw-dropping), it is slightly larger therefore has more amenities (food stores, restaurants, shopping), is easier to get in and out of so is better as a base, and we think it has more of the quintessential Swiss mountain village “vibe” than does Mürren.”

Will you have a Swiss Travel Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass) or Swiss Half Fare Card (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard) or other pass? In which case the travel costs become immaterial.

You can find the travel times and fares for any trip using the SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable). If you are not familiar with the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on that page. The first price you see will assume you have a half-fare card so double it for full fares.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 February 2019 at 1:45:19 #903238

Murren is fine. The BLM (cable car and train interchanging at Grütschalp is efficient enough and a fun ride (especially if you watch the special crane that tranships goods containers from the cable car to the train at Grütschalp

• The thread ‘Easily going to/from Murren several times a trip?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.