Easter in Switzerland: towns/attractions closed?

• ZeeS
    Participant
    1 post
    19 September 2022 at 8:02:42 #828372

Hi all,

I am planning a trip for me and my husband to Europe next year. We wil lbe in Switzerland for a week on the dates 5th to 12th April.

Rough Itinerary:

5 & 6th April – Zurich

7 & 8th April – Lucerne

9 & 10th April – OB

11 & 12th April – Zermatt

This is also during the Easter holidays, Good Friday – 7th April, Easter Sunday – 9th April and Easter Monday – 10th April. This is our first time in Switzerland so we want to explore each region and do quite a few trips to Mt. Titlis, Mt. Rigi and explore Lauterbrunnen valley and Zermatt.

I am worried if most of the towns will be closed and if the train frequency will be reduced during our trip as well. We do have flexibility with our dates so we could potentially bring the trip forward by a week. Would you recommend doing so?

Thank yo ufor your help. 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    19 September 2022 at 15:52:07 #947040

Hi ZeeS,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Most shops and businesses will be closed on Easter Sunday and Easter Monday but trains and other modes of public transport will still be running. Mountain transportation will be running too. The Easter holidays is usually a busy period as most locals use the opportunity to spend the time outdoors as the weather gets warmer in spring.

Be sure to check out this link for info about the best time to visit.

regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 September 2022 at 22:49:39 #947041

Don’t worry about transport, Swiss public transport runs 7 days a week 365 days a year.

Tourist transport routes and ‘attractions’ generally stay open as the locals themselves will be tourists at a holiday period

• The thread ‘Easter in Switzerland: towns/attractions closed?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.