Easy hikes in Lauterbrunnen mid October

• CaliMom
    Participant
    2 posts
    18 October 2021 at 6:35:55 #826190

Hi all,

We are headed to Lauterbrunnen next weekend for 3 nights. It looks it may rain on Friday but be partly sunny on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. I would love any advice for novice hikers. We don’t have boots and poles, so are looking for some easier hikes. Long ones are fine, just not treacherous.

Also, would love to know any good restaurants in town for dinners.

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6274 posts
    18 October 2021 at 9:38:59 #936926

Hi Calimom,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

If you stick to the valleys and lower elevation, the trails are less treacherous 🙂

Some suggestions:

More sightseeing options here: http://www.myswissalps.com/lauterbrunnen/activities

Lauterbrunnen is a small village. Most of the hotels will have their own restaurants. Other than that, there are limited options to dine-in. For more choices, I would travel to Interlaken (about 20 minutes by train).

Hope this helps you to plan your trip.

Regards,

Anna

hockeyfan
    Participant
    162 posts
    19 October 2021 at 20:09:43 #936927

We very much enjoy staying in Lauterbrunnen. The Silberhorn and the Hotel Oberland are two of our favorites for dining. Open for lunch is Restaurant Winteregg between Grütschalp and Mürren., and for dinner the Stägerstübli in Mürren. I noticed on the Stägerstübli website they have recently changed some of their covid rules for dining indoors. The Hotel Oberland has heaters and warm blankets for dining outside. (At least they did a few years ago.) Have a great trip.

Danielsan
    Participant
    628 posts
    20 October 2021 at 9:31:07 #936928

Hi CaliMom,

I did the Grutschalp to Murren hike as well as the Granny Walk hike from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg. Neither one was difficult to do. Both were just like going for a walk, but with some spectacular scenery along the way. I also went to Harder Kulm, (after the Grutschalp/Murren hike) where the view of Interlaken was incredible, and the sunset was also stunning with the surrounding mountains. I also ate dinner at the restaurant there listening to an ‘oompa’ band while dining outdoors overlooking the two lakes below. A great experience overall. There is an abundance of hiking to do in the region.

I believe the Swiss cuisine is very under rated and very good all over. Usually there is some beautiful scenery to go along with it, which certainly helps the experience. As far as the weather goes, I wouldn’t worry too much until you get there, as it may change by that time. Hopefully it will. Enjoy your trip.

Danielsan

CaliMom
    Participant
    2 posts
    21 October 2021 at 14:14:37 #936929

Thanks so much everyone. Looks like the weather has changed and it’s going to be sunny and in the 50s (F) this weekend. Very excited!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 October 2021 at 15:09:35 #936930

Have a wonderful long weekend in the Jungfrau region and we would be very happy to hear about your experiences later. If you wish you can share them in the trip report part of the forum: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/tripreports

One more thing, be prepared, that over 2000 meters there already might be snow, so even if it is not that cold yet, the terrain can be a bit muddy or slippery. You can get information about the current status of the hiking routes at the tourist office in Lauterbrunnen.

Take care,
    Ildiko

Practical hiking tips: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/preparation and http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/etiquette

• The thread ‘Easy hikes in Lauterbrunnen mid October’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.