Easy hiking trip with kid and pregnant. Engelberg?

• lorena
    Participant
    10 posts
    14 May 2020 at 15:55:20 #825549

Hello!

We are planning our summer holidays and I would like to ask for recommendations for a suitable region to travel under our circumstances:

Family of 3 (2 adults and a 3 year old), one week trip for mid-July, I will be 20 weeks pregnant by then. We do not have a lot of experience hiking but spent the last summer in the Berner-Oberland region and visited Oeschinensee, Bachalpsee, Männlichen, Wengen, Mürren, Schilthron, etc. and had a great time.

We are looking for a family-friendly area with easy hikes (3 year old and pregnant mom), where we could visit lakes, mountains, has kids activities and maybe a thermal bath to spend a day and have some spare days just to relax and enjoy nature.

We were thinking about Engelberg area and visit Titlis, Bannalpsee, Fürenalp… Do you think this could be a good fit? We were also thinking about Zermatt area.

If you have another suggestion, I will appreciate it. We own a car and live in Zurich.

Thank you in advance,

Lorena

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6362 posts
    15 May 2020 at 8:21:27 #932446

Hi Lorena,

Assuming the gondolas will be running as per normal by July, Engelberg is certainly a good choice if you’re looking for hiking trails that are suitable for strollers and younger children. You can find a list here: http://www.engelberg.ch/en/summer/families/hiking-with-pushchair/

Highly recommended is the loop trail around Trübsee. It’s fairly flat and has a couple of playgrounds and numerous grill spots along the way, with amazing view in the summer. Details of the trail here: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/engelberg-obertruebsee-truebsee. If you wish, you could combine this hike with a trip up to the Titlis summit.

A personal favourite is the Brunni Tickle Trail in the Brunni-Engelberg area. The highlight is a small mountain lake called Harzlisee that offers a theme trail every kids (and kids at heart) will love. There’s also a toboggan and a huge playground to keep everyone happy 🙂

If you don’t mind travelling a bit further, Zermatt also offers plenty of easy hiking options for families. http://www.myswissalps.com/zermatt/activities (scroll down for hiking suggestions)

You won’t go wrong with either 🙂

Regards,

Anna

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    15 May 2020 at 11:31:15 #932447

Hi Lorena

Another forum favorite is the Ticino area. It would be quite different from your previous trip to the Jungfrau area. We stayed in Locarno and enjoyed the short scenic hike from Cardada to Cimetta. There is a very large playground at Cardada. Nearby are lakes, castles, Lugano, old town in Ascona to explore. The section on Ticino on this website is very informative. Anyway it is a beautiful area and a very different experience from your previous trip.

The Upper and lower Engadine valley are reported to be very scenic with lots of hiking opportunities. I haven’t been there yet but have a trip to Sils planned for this September. Fingers crossed!!

Mark

lorena
    Participant
    10 posts
    15 May 2020 at 13:11:54 #932448

Thanks a lot for your advice and suggestions Anna and Mark!

I will look into it and let’s hope we can decide because there is a lot to see 🙂 Hope everything is open and running in July. So far I have checked with two resorts and they will be open.

Regards,

Lorena

• The thread ‘Easy hiking trip with kid and pregnant. Engelberg?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.