Easy to moderately easy hikes in Arosa and Verbier

• Ellsworth
    Participant
    1 post
    7 July 2021 at 19:51:16 #825915

We are spending almost 2 weeks in Verbier and Arosa in August. We are Americans in our late 60’s and we just can’t do the steep, long hikes like we used to. This is our 5th trip to Switzerland. We have been to Wengen, Zermatt, Pontresina, Engelberg and Appenzell, so we are trying 2 new locations this time. Please tell me about any easy to moderate hikes in these areas that you recommend. We will have a car. (My husband loves driving in Europe.) We want the flexibility of being able to drive, although we do love the Swiss trains. Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2021 at 21:11:28 #935618

Hi Ellsworth and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Great that you are coming back to Switzerland.

You’ll find hiking routes around Verbier here: http://www.verbier.ch/summer/inside/to-do/sports-activities/walks-and-hikes/all-routes/
    And have a look at this page regarding Arosa: arosalenzerheide.swiss/en/Region/Arosa/Summer/Hiking/Hiking-Tours

I have no personal experience in hiking in these regions, but I hope those pages will help you,

Ildiko

More information about hiking in Switzerland: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking

Driving tips can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/car

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    8 July 2021 at 19:58:38 #935619

Hello Ellsworth,

I can suggest one hike I did a year ago in the Arosa region.

Arosa is at the top end of a valley called Schanfigg, with the Plessur River flowing from Arosa to Chur. About halfway between Chur and Arosa there is a village called Langwies. You could hike from Tschiertschen to Langwies, or the other way round. Tschiertschen and Langwies are at about the same elevation (1350 m), with the village of Molinis half way between them, at a lower elevation (1050 m). I was 71 last year, and we did the hike in one day, stopping for lunch at Molinis where there is a nice restaurant. If you do only the upper half of the trail (Molinis to Langwies) the logistics with your car would be very easy, as both places are on the same railway line. Public transport between Langwies and Tschiertschen is a bit longer, although quite feasible. Leave your car at Langwies, ride the train to Chur, and reach Tschiertschen by bus (we hiked from Chur to Tschiertschen and slept there, the trail is steep in the first section).

This trail is part of the Jakobsweg Graunünden described here.

I have never been to Verbier in summer, but I understand there are trails of every kind there, just ask the tourist office.

Enjoy your stay!

Snowman

• The thread ‘Easy to moderately easy hikes in Arosa and Verbier’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.