Eating in or near Weggis

• Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 May 2017 at 14:52:19 #812049

This is anew thread in response to OH Geologist's question.

<<“saw you were just in Weggis…any suggestions on a place to eat (if we don’t get to eat up at your friend’s hotel near the top of Rigi)?”>>

I don’t have any good suggestions; in the neighborhood, I always go up to Rigi Kaltbad.

There, my favorite restaurant in all of Switzerland, the Hotel Bergsonne, just announced that the place is for sale, while I was there. They have been there 30 years; I’ve been going there for somewhere around 20 years. I’m sure thatthere schedule will be “flexible” in the near future. However, I’d try to get there if I could. Remember, Slow Food.

In Weggis, when for some reason I could not stay at the Bergsonne, I have stayed a couple of times at the Hotel Central am See. Really nice rooms, overlooking the lake. Friendly and hepful management. Kitchen was good when not rushed, but on one Friday evening, the place was full and the service was slow and erratic, and the food merely OK. Menu is fairly limited.

Will you spend time around the lake?

Slowpoke

PS- I’m sure that I linked you to this map before, from the Swiss land Bureai, but,memory is not always reliable, so here it is again. Buried in this map is a lot of information, including some of special interest to a geologist.

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege,ch.bafu.gef ahren-baugrundklassen&layers _visibility=false,fals e,true&X=210813.31&Y=6 76620.52&zoom=4&layers _opacity=1,1,0.75

Make sure to play with “looking for more maps?”

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2017 at 10:32:09 #864258

Oh…love the sunbeams in your pictures, Slowpoke. We will be staying in Mennagio on Lake Como (which is VERY interesting to try and get to via rail and bus from Pontresina! (The train up to Filisir to Thusis and bus (reserved seats) to Bellinzona, train to Lugano and bus (reserved seats) to Menaggio gets you there quicker than the Bernina train/bus through Tirano because you have to go on through to Lugano then take the bus back.) But you also get to see some pretty interesting passes and rail lines the way we are going.

Then later on we are taking the boat from Fluelen and stopping/staying at Weggis to soak up the lake and Mt Rigi. There was a little ditty we sang as kids about taking a boat “From Lucerne to the Weggis Fair”… which we will do backwards (not the singing, but the boat :-).

Thanks again for the map…always! I have been wondering how often Switzerland feels any tremblers…

Oh Geologist

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    31 May 2017 at 18:48:23 #864259

The restaurant at Seehotel Gotthard in Weggis is really tops. Extremely good food and a charming spot right on the lake. I think they are only open for dinner though and I believe Mon and Tuesdays are closed.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    31 May 2017 at 18:56:15 #864260

Hi Kim-

Now that you mention it, a dim memory to that effect appears from the distant past.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Eating in or near Weggis’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.