Interlaken area – 4 days itinerary and rail pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 October 2019 at 16:23:27 #824101

Hello,

I am planning a somewhat spur-of-the-moment trip through Switzerland. The only thing I am sure of is that I will arrive in Bern via train from Paris that Saturday 19-Oct-2019. Switzerland seems like a very rich country with lots to see, but to simplify things I am thinking of keeping the trip to the Bernese Oberland area, since I am more interested in a nature-focused, active vacation (even though the cultural areas of Basel and Zurich sound fascinating as well). Some of the questions I had:

– It seems like Interlaken is the central town here. If I reserve lodging there for 4 or 5 nights will I have easy access to some of the excursions I wanted to experience? Ex.: Jungfraujoch “top of Europe” rail tour, hiking in Lauterbrunnen (wengen-maennlichen according to SBB site), even mountain biking/E-mountain biking in Grindelwald or Airolo

– Do any excursions in the BO area need booking in advance? Each day in Interlaken, I would prefer to see what looks interesting that day, and book the day of. If that approach is ill-advised it would be best to know now so I can start planning

– It seems like the whether it is better to choose the 4-day Swiss Travel Pass vs. the Half Fare Card is highly dependent on specific itinerary. I was planning on just doing the 4-day Swiss Travel Pass for easy train access, since I am not yet sure of my itinerary. Just wanted to make sure why there is any obvious reason why the Half Fare Card is preferable (I am already aware that I will get less of a discount on the Interlaken to Jungfrau transit if I just have the SP)

– Ultimately on the Wed or Thurs of that week I will be taking a train ride to Austria, likely Salzburg. Does the discount from the SP or Half Fare card cover that train ride, even though it crosses borders?

Thank you to whoever takes the time to read this and help a clueless American out. It’s greatly appreciated.

• The thread ‘Interlaken area – 4 days itinerary and rail pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.