Eiger North Face – August climbers?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2018 at 16:12:51 #816470

My husband and I will be staying in Interlaken for several days this coming August. At the top of our to-do list is the Jungfrau excursion – assuming from town of Grindelwald. I have a tremendous interest in all things mountaineering, and am hoping to possibly see climbers on the North Face. From what I’ve read, climbing the North Face does take place during the months of July and August – is that accurate? If so, are there any particularly good vantage points in Grindelwald? Thank you in advance for any information you might provide. Judy

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    6 June 2018 at 0:14:22 #887488

Hi.

You could expect climbers on the mountain at any time during summer, although, counterintuitively, it can be more dangerous during periods of warm weather because of the danger of rock fall.

As far as seeing climbers on the mountain, you would need a telescope to see anything, and you would need a good idea of the route they were taking. The face is massive and climbers would be difficult to spot. You won’t see much from Grindelwald because not much of the north face is visible from there. Kleine Scheidegg would be a bit better, but i think the best view would be somewhere directly opposite the mountain where the entire face is visible. If you take the gondola to Maennlichen and walk back following the gondola cables you will find great views of the mountain, but you will need binoculars or a spotting scope to see any climbers. If you look at a map, somewhere like Alpiglenn would seem ideal, but it is actually too close and even though the Eiger towers over you there, all you can really see is the foot of it.

Alan

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 June 2018 at 0:23:39 #887489

You might get a better view of the mountaineering action here. 😎

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2018 at 1:12:40 #887490

Thanks for your reply. I have watched various videos of climbers on the North Face, and have read several books on the subject. Was just hoping to see it in real time:). Judy

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2018 at 1:14:44 #887491

Thanks for your reply. I will definitely have good binoculars and will likely take your advice regarding the gondola to Maennlichen. Thanks again. Judy

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 June 2018 at 6:50:37 #887492

I’d plan for a long break at Kleine Scheidegg. With good binoculars indeed, as the Eiger is still more than 3 km from there. Perhaps walk a little bit towards Männlichen to reach a slightly higher location.

Have fun!

fredch
    Participant
    57 posts
    6 June 2018 at 12:34:23 #887493

A good spot to observe the Eigernordwand is about 25 % along the Eiger Trail from Eigergletscher Station, One can lie on your back in the grass and scrutinize the face with binoculars. A climber will appear tiny, as the face is massive. Do you know The White Spider by H. Harrer?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2018 at 14:05:59 #887494

Oh yes, I’ve read The White Spider, as well as a few other books about the Eiger. I’m sure I won’t appreciate the massiveness of the Face until I’m actually there! Thank you for your suggestion. This experience is high on my ‘bucket list’ so I am very grateful for information from those who are familiar with the area…

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2018 at 14:09:12 #887495

Thank you, Arno, for your suggestion. I’m pretty sure this will be an awesome experience!

• The thread ‘Eiger North Face – August climbers?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.