Eiger North Face - August climbers?

Eiger North Face - August climbers?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Geojude23
Geojude23
6 posts
Jun 5, 2018 - 4:12 PM

My husband and I will be staying in Interlaken for several days this coming August. At the top of our to-do list is the Jungfrau excursion - assuming from town of Grindelwald. I have a tremendous interest in all things mountaineering, and am hoping to possibly see climbers on the North Face. From what I’ve read, climbing the North Face does take place during the months of July and August - is that accurate? If so, are there any particularly good vantage points in Grindelwald? Thank you in advance for any information you might provide. Judy

AlanPrice
AlanPrice
186 posts
Jun 6, 2018 - 12:14 AM

Hi.

You could expect climbers on the mountain at any time during summer, although, counterintuitively, it can be more dangerous during periods of warm weather because of the danger of rock fall.

As far as seeing climbers on the mountain, you would need a telescope to see anything, and you would need a good idea of the route they were taking. The face is massive and climbers would be difficult to spot. You won't see much from Grindelwald because not much of the north face is visible from there. Kleine Scheidegg would be a bit better, but i think the best view would be somewhere directly opposite the mountain where the entire face is visible. If you take the gondola to Maennlichen and walk back following the gondola cables you will find great views of the mountain, but you will need binoculars or a spotting scope to see any climbers. If you look at a map, somewhere like Alpiglenn would seem ideal, but it is actually too close and even though the Eiger towers over you there, all you can really see is the foot of it.

Alan

rockoyster
rockoyster
3585 posts
expert
Jun 6, 2018 - 12:23 AM in reply to Geojude23

You might get a better view of the mountaineering action here. 😎

Geojude23
Geojude23
6 posts
Jun 6, 2018 - 1:12 AM in reply to rockoyster

Thanks for your reply. I have watched various videos of climbers on the North Face, and have read several books on the subject. Was just hoping to see it in real time:). Judy

Geojude23
Geojude23
6 posts
Jun 6, 2018 - 1:14 AM in reply to AlanPrice

Thanks for your reply. I will definitely have good binoculars and will likely take your advice regarding the gondola to Maennlichen. Thanks again. Judy

Arno
Arno
10553 posts
expert &
Jun 6, 2018 - 6:50 AM

I'd plan for a long break at Kleine Scheidegg. With good binoculars indeed, as the Eiger is still more than 3 km from there. Perhaps walk a little bit towards Männlichen to reach a slightly higher location.

Have fun!

Last modified on Jun 6, 2018 - 6:51 AM by Arno
fredch
fredch
34 posts
Jun 6, 2018 - 12:34 PM

A good spot to observe the Eigernordwand is about 25 % along the Eiger Trail from Eigergletscher Station, One can lie on your back in the grass and scrutinize the face with binoculars. A climber will appear tiny, as the face is massive. Do you know The White Spider by H. Harrer?

Geojude23
Geojude23
6 posts
Jun 6, 2018 - 2:05 PM in reply to fredch

Oh yes, I’ve read The White Spider, as well as a few other books about the Eiger. I’m sure I won’t appreciate the massiveness of the Face until I’m actually there! Thank you for your suggestion. This experience is high on my ‘bucket list’ so I am very grateful for information from those who are familiar with the area...

Geojude23
Geojude23
6 posts
Jun 6, 2018 - 2:09 PM in reply to Arno

Thank you, Arno, for your suggestion. I’m pretty sure this will be an awesome experience!

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018