Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  8 days July: Lake Geneva, Jungfrau area, Lucerne

8 days July: Lake Geneva, Jungfrau area, Lucerne

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Arnami
Arnami
27 posts
Jul 6, 2020 - 7:28 PM

Hello dear Admins and Members,

So finally we are about to visit Switzerland after two weeks from the netherlands!

We postponed our trip from April end to July end following all the news and update and keeping our finger crossed.

We have planned for a seven day eight nights itinerary.

Day 1) Geneva City half day sightseeing and evening to laussane for lavaux express ( reserved) and cruise in lec leman.

Day 2) Gruyeres and maisson cailler! And chilion Castle in the evening on return! Do you recommend reserving seat in golden pass from mo treux to grueyre? Does the beautiful yellow train run in this direction/line?

One more question here is, we will travel with eight day Swiss pass and maisson caller is included in it but they have started time slot booking to visit due to corona safety so how to book the slot with a Swiss lasst? I emailed them but the answer was not clear!

Day 3) laussane to wengen stay at wengen hotel.

Visit grindelwald first with Lake bachalpsee trek!

Day 4) jungfrau top of Europe,manlichen visit by rope way then cruise in breinz and harder Klum visit.

Day 5) murren visit ( not schilthorn) and trumbelbach waterfalls visit.

Schynige plate visit and catch lucern express in the evening. Do you recommend seat reservation here?

Day 6) Mount titlis and then omega watch factory visit in the afternoon.

Day 7) Rigi excurssion and local lucern sightseeing. Return flight at night.

WWe wanted to avoid the French region chamonix due to corona situation and wanted to focus more on jungfrau! How does the itinerary sound to you?

Please share your thoughts!

We really hope this time we can make it.

Take care everyone!

Thanks

Annika
Annika
6318 posts
expert &
Jul 7, 2020 - 6:09 AM in reply to Arnami

Hello Marnami,

How exciting your trip will very probably take place within a few weeks! As things stand now, your options for visiting from the Netherlands look promising. I think your overall itinerary looks good, although some days are rather full. I advise you to start early each day, and check the timetable at www.myswissalps.com/timetable to plan your journeys and see if you're comfortable with each day's schedule. Also, note that wearing face masks is now obligatory in public transportation (www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland).

As for your further questions:

If you haven't bought your Swiss Travel Pass yet, you can do so through www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/price. Many retailers provide digital passes, that you'll receive on short notice (often within minutes after your purchase). You can store them on your mobile device and show them when asked for.

I hope this answers your questions! Have fun preparing for your trip, and let us know if you need further assistance.

Last modified on Jul 7, 2020 - 6:11 AM by Annika
Arnami
Arnami
27 posts
Jul 7, 2020 - 6:33 AM in reply to Annika

Dear Annika,

Thx a lot for your reply in detail.

Yes we are prepared for wearing face mask and changing every four hours. I do agree we need to rush on day 2&3.We have tried to squeeze eight day Swiss pass as much possible. Yes, we will go for a digital pass and also planning to buy a jungfrau pass which gives us unlimited access to all ropeway and mountain tops except schilthorn and jungfrau( only price deduction included).

We really need to start early from laussane and just keep our luggage in wengen hotel to rush to grindelwald! Keeping our hopes high.

I really appreciate your inputs for cbillion Castle timing, golden pass reservation and maison cailler slot booking! They have replied that I should pre book the slot as number of people allowed to enter maison cailler is restricted per slot. But how he didn't explain.

Let me email them again asking exactly how to dothis.

We really hope we get sunny weather and can visit the beautiful country safely.

Best Regards

Annika
Annika
6318 posts
expert &
Jul 7, 2020 - 2:15 PM in reply to Arnami

Hi Arnami,

Glad we can be of help! It sounds like you're all set for your journey, apart from the question how to arrange for your Maison Cailler reservations. I hope their answer will be clear next time. If you want, could you share their answer here please? It will be very useful to know for other travelers too!

As for the additional pass: are you planning on getting the Jungfrau Travel Pass (www.myswissalps.com/jungfrautravelpass) or this offer: www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/jungfrau-corona-pass-one-time-offer-summer-2020? In most cases it doesn't pay off to buy two different passes, as the Swiss Travel Pass also grants discounts on mountain traveling. That's obviously not the same as the free traveling (partly) provided by those regional passes, but if you want to make sure this combination is the most economical option, you could do the math as explained at www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass.

Arnami
Arnami
27 posts
Jul 7, 2020 - 2:35 PM in reply to Annika

Dear Annika,

I have attached their word doc which they send to me as an current notice.

I find jungfrau pass cheapest because with Swiss pass I get it in a discounted price of 145chf which gets me to ju hfrau with extra 74 chf plus I get other mountain free entry and cable car like manlichen plus grindelwald first plus harder kulm. So it's 145+145+74+74=448 chf

Where as with corona pass its 299+299=600 chf for me so I really don't see the advantage for corona pass for me here.

Am I making any mistake?

Thanks in advance!

Manami

Ildiko
Ildiko
990 posts
top member &
Jul 9, 2020 - 12:56 PM in reply to Arnami

Dear Manami,

Unfortunately there is no attachment. Could you try it again please?

If you have a Swiss Travel Pass, you can get the Jungfrau Corona Pass for CHF 299 per person, just as you wrote.

Jungfrau Travel Pass costs around CHF 132 for 3 days, CHF 151 for 4 days at https://www.happyrail.com/en/pass/europe/switzerland/jungfrau-travel-pass, I am not sure which one do you want. Plus CHF 74 from (June to August).

So if you are having the Swiss Travel Pass for sure, then the normal Jungfrau Travel Pass is the better option for you in this case: www.myswissalps.com/jungfrautravelpass/price.

By the way, did you use our calculating spreadsheet?

Ildiko

Arnami
Arnami
27 posts
Jul 10, 2020 - 10:37 AM

Good afternoon!

Thank you Ildiko.

I tried to attach the screen shot of their reply here, hope u can see it.

They said with Swiss pass entry is free but slot booking in advance is not possible. Every four minutes they are taking five people in. So when we arrive we will be alloted a slot ASAP.

Hope this info helps everyone!

The price of Jungfrau pass is written 145 (reduced) CHF in the jungfrau.ch official website. But when I try to book it at the payment page they do show the price 135CHF. But we planned to buy it across the counter seeing the weather in jungfrau because without going to jungfrau this pass will not fetch us much savings as we already have Swiss travel pass.

I did used the spreadsheet. But the problem is our itinerary is not very fixed, we want to keep it open/amendable as per the weather. Plus we are travelling with kids so we need flexibility and comfort.

I hope the online price and the across the counter price for Jungfrau pass should remain same. We only arrive with Swiss travel pass, which we will buy two days before our journey starts.

Hoping for the best. So far the Netherlands is doing good in controlling the numbers and so is Switzerland. We really hope I can allow my daughter to play with snow in Jungfrau in her summer vacation.

Best regards

Arnami

Please login to see the attached documents
Anna
Anna
870 posts
top member &
Jul 10, 2020 - 1:17 PM

Hi Arnami,

Thank you for posting the the screenshot of the email response from Maison Cailler. I'm sure other travellers would find that information useful.

In addition to Jungfraujoch, Mount Titlis would be also be a good place for your daughter to play with snow. More details here: www.myswissalps.com/titlis

Regards,

Anna

Last modified on Jul 10, 2020 - 2:11 PM by Anna
Arnami
Arnami
27 posts
Jul 10, 2020 - 1:25 PM in reply to Anna

Yes Anna, you read my mind. We do have a plan to visit titlis too!

It's a lovely country and beauty is at every corner. Eight days is not enough!

Best Regards

Arnami
Arnami
27 posts
Jul 13, 2020 - 9:00 AM

Dear Members,

So we begin our trip coming Monday. When shall we buy our swiss travel pass ? today? Or Friday is good enough?

I saw the forecast in lauterbrunen or Grindelwald is all cloud covered and rainy for 24th and 25th July exactly when we are staying there.

I have read the forecasts are not trust worthy so keeping our fInger crossed for sunny days. But in case , does it rain all the time? If not mountain top like schilthorn or jungfrau but can we take a chance to use the cable car which is free with STP to roam around? Can we get any view in rainy/cloudy days?

Any experience /insight will be highly appreciated.

If that's not option then I guess cruise or visit to Bern will be another idea!? We will visit the trummelbach waterfalls too!

Any other alternatives for rainy days?

Thanks in advance .

Annika
Annika
6318 posts
expert &
Jul 13, 2020 - 11:44 AM in reply to Arnami

Hi Arnami!

Indeed, it's way too early to tell anything about weather during your stay. Forecasts for more than 4-5 days ahead are pretty much useless (www.myswissalps.com/weather), so please don't worry :-). It's always good to have some back-up plans in case weather doesn't cooperate though.

We've listed tips under "Bad weather activities" at www.myswissalps.com/interlaken. To those, I'd add:

Nothing wrong with free cable car trips even on cloudy days! If weather is changeable, you may end up lucky and still get some great views. In case of continuous clouds and rain you'd better opt for another kind of activity. Do mind that the Swiss Travel Pass doesn't allow free traveling all the way up to Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch: www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass.

Most retailers listed at www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/price issue digital Swiss Travel Passes that you'll receive by e-mail on short notice. These two will even provide it within minutes:

So any moment between now Friday should work! Have fun planning and preparing :-).

Arnami
Arnami
27 posts
Jul 13, 2020 - 1:14 PM

Dear Annika,

Thank you for the infos.

I never knew about the gorges! Poor me :-) are they included in swiss travel pass?

We shall definitely think about Zermatt if the weather is bad in Interlaken -jungfrau region.

Btw, how to order the free family card for my daughter when I order two swiss travel pass from the above Said websitess?

Best Regards

e

Annika
Annika
6318 posts
expert &
Jul 13, 2020 - 1:55 PM

Hi Arnami!

Good thing you can add the gorges to your wish list now :-). They're not included in the Swiss Travel Pass (www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity), but entrance prices are much lower than those of mountain rides.

When ordering your Swiss Travel Pass, you have the option to indicate whether children in the age range of 6-15 will travel along:

I hope this clarifies things!

Arnami
Arnami
27 posts
Jul 13, 2020 - 1:58 PM in reply to Annika

Hello Annika,

Thanks for the valuable guidelines.It means a lot to us first timers!

Take care and have a great week ahead.

Annika
Annika
6318 posts
expert &
Jul 13, 2020 - 2:42 PM in reply to Arnami

You're very welcome Arnami, glad we could be of help! Let us know if any further questions pop up before your departure :-).

Arnami
Arnami
27 posts
Jul 16, 2020 - 11:31 PM

Dear Annika,

We received the swiss pass online withing minutes of our purchase today via happyrail.

The price was good too. Thanks for your suggestion.

Now regarding the jungfrau pass 3 days, it says only paper ticket .

I start my journey on Monday 20th so it's pretty late for ordering a paper ticket, shall I give my lauterbrunen hotel addres then?

We will reach lauterbrunen on 23rd, ifsay we purchase tomorrow we will get there at the hotel.

If we buy this pass across counter the charges are higher in comparison to happyrail online price . But the। Offcourse we will be looser in case the weather goes bad. Otherwise in our planned itinerary this pass will be helpful on top of swiss pass for us.

Please suggest!

Anna
Anna
870 posts
top member &
Jul 17, 2020 - 5:39 AM in reply to Arnami

Hi Arnami,

If you purchase the Jungfrau Travel Pass online, you should request Happy Rail to deliver it to your accommodation here in Switzerland. Make sure you inform your host or hotel about it ahead of your arrival.

Also I would clarify with Happy Rail first about how long it would take them to post the ticket by mail and opt for registered delivery.

More details about the Jungfrau Travel Pass here: www.myswissalps.com/jungfrautravelpass/price

Safe travel and regards,

Anna

Last modified on Jul 17, 2020 - 5:40 AM by Anna
Arnami
Arnami
27 posts
Jul 28, 2020 - 7:04 AM

Dear Members,

We are back from our Swiss holiday. The first thing I wanted to do after my return is to thank you for your constant support and guidance to help to plan my trip. All the information provided by you worked very well for us. We enjoyed every bit of our holiday. Be it weather forecast or time to visit your isuggestion made it nearperfect. With mask and hand gel, social distance ( as much as possible) we travelled in this beautiful country which actually turned out to be more scenic than we expected . Geneva, montreux, laussane, Interlaken, lauterbrunen, Grindelwald,jungfrau,lucern,brunni,engelberg, our journey went through the lakes and mountain and waterfalls and lovely cities.

Take care every one and see you again.

Annika
Annika
6318 posts
expert &
Jul 28, 2020 - 10:14 AM in reply to Arnami

Hello Arnami,

Thank you so much for getting back to us! I'm happy to hear you've enjoyed your stay in Switzerland that much, even though circumstances might have been different than usual. You sure managed to visit lots of highlights! Thank you for your kind words about our assistance. If you'd like, you'd help us a lot by writing a review on our Facebook page (www.facebook.com/pg/myswissalps/reviews/?ref=page_internal) and/or posting a trip report here: www.myswissalps.com/forum/tripreports. I'm sure it will be interesting to other visitors to find out how a stay in Switzerland in corona times was like!

Arnami
Arnami
27 posts
Jul 28, 2020 - 3:37 PM

Sure Annika, I will do that. May be within couple ofdays.

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020