Electronic Swiss maps with GPS for phone/ipad

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
PnBA
PnBA
45 posts
Apr 13, 2019 - 11:09 PM

Just searched these forums, found nothing on this topic

I would like to find topographic hiking maps, for download and offline access, on which a person could locate themselves by GPS.

It would only take a couple paper maps to equal the volume and weight of my ipad, and my ipad or even my android phone - which have GPS capabilities and 6+ hr battery lives - would be much more useful than a paper map even if I was a long way out of cell or internet range.

I see something like this available on itunes, but the quality appears to be very poor - 1 star ratings. They don't look like topo/hiking maps either. Anyone know of anything better? Anyone have a good experience using them?

Last modified on Apr 13, 2019 - 11:17 PM by PnBA
rockoyster
rockoyster
6318 posts
expert
Apr 14, 2019 - 4:25 AM in reply to PnBA
PnBA
PnBA
45 posts
Apr 14, 2019 - 5:25 AM

Decidedly mixed reviews for that app, which the website makes clear, but for some strange reason the website doesn't allow me to read the reviews. A stated (and strange) limitation is that it cannot record excursions. The $20 subscription is fine, but I'd really like to hear about someone's experience / endorsement of it, or at least read the reviews before plunking it down.

Arno
Arno
13257 posts
expert &
Apr 14, 2019 - 5:56 AM

Hi PnBA,

I use that app and like it. For me, the main disadvantages are:

• Editing a route takes some getting used to, this should be improved;
  • Maximum zoom level is sometimes not sufficient for urban areas. It is doable though.

For paper maps, please see www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maps. Internet coverage is pretty good in Switzerland, please see www.myswissalps.com/si mcard.

Last modified on Apr 14, 2019 - 5:56 AM by Arno
Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6150 posts
expert
Apr 15, 2019 - 1:00 AM in reply to PnBA

Consider-

shop.swisstopo.admin.c h/en/

Slowpoke

By the way, I find the 1:25,000 and 1:50,000 maps with the Wanderwegs marked to be much more useful for planning, because you can see a lot without scrolling.

Last modified on Apr 15, 2019 - 1:05 AM by Slowpoke
Snowman
Snowman
545 posts
top member
Apr 15, 2019 - 3:28 PM in reply to PnBA

Hi PnBA

< I'd really like to hear about someone's experience / endorsement of it >

I'm based in Switzerland and a hiker. I am a user of SwitzerlandMobilityPlus - the one allowing to design your own itineraries. I don't carry an iPad - too bulky and battery recharge problems.

What I do is this: design itinerary at home on a desktop computer, with Switzerland Mobility Plus, save it "for GPS" (i.e. in gpx format), upload on GPS device (I have currently a Garmin eTrex, but I had other Garmins in the past). I have the Topo Switzerland PRO map on that GPS (that's the expensive element, but the map is excellent and very detailed). I usually carry an iPhone with me, just in case, but I would not rely on it alone (battery, poor GSM connection at some places, and data transfer ceiling).

And, as Slowpoke mentions, I have always the paper map with me. You never know.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019