Pregnancy: emergency contact and hospital

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 21:23:27 #812052

My wife and I have planned for the upcoming trip to Switzerland from 8 Jun to 17 Jun. However she just got pregnant recently (3 days ago) and may be feeling unwell as we will be taking a plane of over 12 hours from Singapore and travelling by train to Zermatt for another 6 hours. May I ask are there any emergency numbers I can call and how can I send her to the nearest hospital/clinic in case she feels really unwell?

We were already thinking of cancelling the trip as she fear taking a plane of such long duration will affect her pregnancy and health. Anyone’s advice is greatly appreciated!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2017 at 8:32:45 #864276

It would be best to consult your doctor about any issues with her traveling on this trip (I wouldn’t want to comment on whether she can or not).

Here is a list of emergency numbers you can call in Switzerland: https://www.ch.ch/en/e mergency-numbers-first-aid/

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2017 at 1:59:01 #864277

>> My wife and I have planned for the upcoming trip to Switzerland from 8 Jun to 17 Jun. However she just got pregnant recently (3 days ago) and may be feeling unwell as we will be taking a plane of over 12 hours from Singapore and travelling by train to Zermatt for another 6 hours. May I ask are there any emergency numbers I can call and how can I send her to the nearest hospital/clinic in case she feels really unwell?

In addition to Lucas’ comments, I would add the following:

1. Have you already bought travel insurance? If so, check the policy wording to see what is covered or not covered in terms of medical expenses. If not, look into getting travel insurance, and examine carefully any wording around pregnancy-related conditions. You might have to pay extra to cover a pre-existing condition.

2. Finding the nearest hospital/clinic when you are in Switzerland will very much depend on where you are when your wife feels she needs medical assistance. I would rely on your hotel for this, as they will have the best local knowledge. Often there will be information in your hotel room. If not, ask at reception. Get this information when you check in, rather than waiting until you need it, and find out the local numbers for taxis. “Ich bin schwanger” means “I am pregnant” in German. In French it is “Je suis enceinte” and in Italian it is “Sono incinta”.

>> We were already thinking of cancelling the trip as she fear taking a plane of such long duration will affect her pregnancy and health. Anyone’s advice is greatly appreciated!

As Lucas mentioned, consulting your wife’s own doctor is the most important thing. In addition, you can also inform yourself through authoritative sources on the internet, such as this one:

http://www.rcog.org.uk/en/pat ients/patient-leaflets/air-travel-pregnancy/

If you are well informed through your wife’s doctor and other sources, and have the information you need to deal with any need for medical assistance, you will be able to relax and enjoy your trip 🙂

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Pregnancy: emergency contact and hospital’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.