Stay in the Emmental, Three Lakes area or Wengen

Stay in the Emmental, Three Lakes area or Wengen

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Mageo
Mageo
31 posts
Mar 7, 2017 - 5:07 AM

Thanks for this tremendously helpful website.
We are planning 32 days in Switzerland Aug. 27-Sept. 28, using the Swiss Travel Pass.

We have been to some areas before including Luzern & Mt Rigi, and some of the areas listed below. However, we realize that there is so much more to explore. We do enjoy the public transport system, the mountains, casual shorter hikes in the beautiful countryside, some E-bike riding (we are seniors). We have four spare nights & are trying to decide whether to explore the Emmental, Three Lakes region, or alternatively, spending it back up in the mountains at Wengen.

The date is Sept. 19-23. We don't want any regrets at not having spent enough time in the mountains, however, if the other areas are also beautiful, we would certainly like to visit. We prefer the smaller, old towns to the large cities.

Below, is our schedule:

• (4 nights) - Luzern (Mt Titlis. Schwyz, Brunnen to Fluelen by boat) etc.
  • (8n) - Grindelwald (Mountain excursions & Interlaken Fest. final weekend).
  • (2n) - Zermatt (Gornergrat. Glacier Express)
  • (1n) - St Moritz (Palm Express to Lugano)
  • (5n) - Lugano (Explore Ticino region)
  • (4n) - FREE
  • (5n) -Gruyeres (local & Lavaux vineyard hikes
  • (2n) - Solothurn
  • (1n) - Zurich Airport

We would appreciate your comments.

Regards,

Mageo.

Lucas
Lucas
7092 posts
expert &
Mar 7, 2017 - 4:52 PM in reply to Mageo

Hi Mageo,

If you have 8 nights already in Grindelwald I don't think you need to spend those remaining 4 nights in Wengen as well. Unfortunately, I haven't spent time in the Three Lakes region or Emmental so I can't say too much about whether you would like those areas or not.

You certainly are able to see a lot of Switzerland in your 32 days so I doubt you'll leave thinking you didn't spend enough time in the mountains! :)

Have a great trip! Perhaps another member can guide you on the Three Lakes region and Emmental areas.

Lucas

Arno
Arno
10735 posts
expert &
Mar 7, 2017 - 6:49 PM in reply to Mageo

Hi Mageo,

I can't provide many details about the two areas you mentioned either, except that they are in the pre-Alps, and therefore I would prefer to stay there in the beginning of your trip. So you can work your way up to the more "grand" alpine scenery. However in your case you are already changing base quite a lot. If it was my trip I would add those 4 nights to St. Moritz, Zermatt, and perhaps one more night in Luzern.

Alpenrose666
Alpenrose666
2419 posts
top member
Mar 8, 2017 - 1:48 AM in reply to Mageo

Have you considered spending some time in the Lower Engadin? Scuol, Guarda and many other small villages are well worth a visit and so very different from elsewhere in Switzerland.

I have done a few trip reports on that area:

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/scuol

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-lower-engadine-guarda-october-2016

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-lower-engadin-ftan

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-postbus-over-the-fluela-pass

Alpenrose

Mageo
Mageo
31 posts
Mar 8, 2017 - 2:58 AM

Thanks so much Lucas and Arno for your replies, also Alpenrose for your very informative reports. They are all very helpful and have given us more to consider.

Mageo

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
4691 posts
expert
Mar 9, 2017 - 2:16 AM in reply to Mageo

Hi Mageo-

I love the Emmental, and have spent many happy days there.

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/langnau-in-may

I can't find a single reference for my files from the Dreiseenland, but it is very comfortable region, and offers varied terrain, and interesting places that are not always Alpine.

In August, the high alps will be cooler at night, but towns around Ligerz will be really pleasant. The Jura mountains provide cooling breezes.

These may help:

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/october-visit

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/where-in-switzerland-would-u-get-married

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/first-trip-with-my-21-and-13-years-old-kids

There is a lot of Swiss history in the Three Lakes Region and also the Emmental, and that adds a nice flavor to a visit. No spectacular mountains, except in the distance.

Fribourg is nice, too.

See attached.

Slowpoke

Last modified on Mar 9, 2017 - 2:18 AM by Slowpoke
Please login to see the attached documents
Mageo
Mageo
31 posts
Mar 9, 2017 - 3:25 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Thanks so much Slowpoke for all the info and photos - most helpful! You've given us a lot to study. We thought the Emmental & Lakes might be a nice contrast to the other areas we plan to visit. It looks a beautiful area.

Thanks again. Your contribution to MySwissAlps is always so helpful.

Mageo

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018