Lucerne, Grindelwald & Zermatt or Montreux in Nov

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 September 2019 at 16:02:24 #824022

Hi there, we are visiting Switzerland 9 days 22 Nov- 30 November 2019 for my dad’s birthday trip. I have drafted my itinerary for 9 days using Swiss Travel Pass.

Entry point: Zurich Airport Exit Point: Geneva

Base: Lucerne (3 nights), Grindelwald (3 nights), Zermatt/Montreux (2 nights)

Day 1. 22 Nov: Arrival Zurich airport 12:30pm. Train to Lucern. Check in, Xmas market

Day 2: 23 Nov: Mount Titlis (full day)

Day 3: 24 Nov: Scenic train ride (regular train) Lucern-Fluelen-Andermatt(Gotthard Panorama Route)> Change>Andermatt-Chur(Glacier Express Route)>Chur-Zurich hb for Xmas Market-back to Lucern. It takes about 8-9 hours train ride with 1 hour stop each at Andermatt and Zurich HB. I purposely plan this route to see the beautiful Oberalppass.

Day 4: 25 Nov: Lucern Town walking tour/Lake boat cruise. 12noon Check out Lucerne. Take Golden Pass Train Lucerne to Interlaken and continue to Grindelwald.Check in Grindelwald around 3:30pm

Day 5; 26 Nov: Jungfraujoch (morning), explore Lauterbrunnen/Murren/Wengen (evening)

Day 6: 27 Nov: Interlaken area: Brienz/Thun boat cruise/ Harder Kulm

Day 7: 28 Nov: Check Out Grindelwald. Take 2nd Leg Golden Pass route to Montreux via Zweisimmen. Change train proceed to Zermatt. Check in Zermatt late evening.

Day 8: 29 Nov: Gornegrat/ Matterhorn glacier Paradise

Day 9: 30 Nov: Check out Zermatt. Train to Geneva for 1.30pm onward train to Paris

Questions are…

1) for the 3rd base better to stay at Zermatt or Montreux? i definitely wanted to see Matterhorn, yet i am considering the journey distance Zermatt to Geneva for my 1.30pm train to Paris. Should i just base in Montreux and day trip to Zermatt?

2) Since my 8 days STP valid (22-29 Nov), for 30th Nov journey should i buy train ticket (saver ticket) in advance, or on the day i check out from Zermatt. Or any other recommended cheaper option for Zermatt-Geneva route.

3) Is day 3 scenic train ride adviceable? Since Glacier express and Gotthard Panorama do not operate that time of the year. So i will use regular train instead covering the two routes change at Andermatt. Start off 8am Lucerne and back by 5pm Lucerne.

Any input and advice is much appreciated!

Thank you.

Franco

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 September 2019 at 17:26:25 #922848

Hi Franco,

Thanks for joining MySwissAlps! As for your questions!

1) Both options will work but it’s a lot of traveling either way. If the Matterhorn is your priority you can consider not travel via the Golden Pass route and skip Montreux. Just go straight tp Zermatt, perhaps via the local train via Goppenstein and Brig to make that trip more scenic.

Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/ze rmatt for further details.

2) Either a Super Saver Ticket or Saver Day Pass will be cheapest. Both must be purchased in advance. Please see:

3) It’s a wonderful route for sure! Also a long one as you have already discovered 🙂

By the way, there won’t be much to explore in the evening (day 5). Once it’s dark, after 5 PM or so, then it’s time to relax, have dinner, etc. You won’t be able to see much outdoors.

Meemskirk
    Participant
    84 posts
    30 September 2019 at 14:26:02 #922849

Having just returned from 3 great weeks, here are some thoughts:

• Day 3 is mostly for the Oberalppass? We did the Glacier Express on a rainy day and it was just looonnng and not nearly as scenic as the Bernina Express; I’m sorry to say the Pass did not stick out in our memories! I think you can better use this time, especially if the weather doesn’t cooperate.
    • Day 5: The towns of Wengen and Murren are charming, but not much to explore. They are jumping off points for Mannlichen (Wengen) and Schilthorn(Murren). Both are lovely and worthwhile but Schilthorn will take several hours. They can be as active or passive as you like.
    • Day 7: Likewise Grindelwald is a jumping off for the First bahn, which is beautiful and fun and will take about a half day.
    • Day 7: We opted to take the faster train to Montreux and skipped Zweisimmen. It saved us some time and we had already seen so much beauty. If you change Day 3, you may still want to do this.
    • We were in Zermatt 3 nights: one night had a glimpse of the mountain; one day had a block of 3 hours that were perfect. I say this because if this is important to you, you need to give yourself a couple of days to improve your chances due to weather. I thought Kleine Matterhorn was more interesting than the very slow Gornergrat views.

I applaud you for taking your dad (happy birthday, dad!) Enjoy!

• The thread ‘Lucerne, Grindelwald & Zermatt or Montreux in Nov’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.