Engelberg – Lauterbrunnen trail, end of May

• Harry23
    Participant
    2 posts
    9 May 2023 at 6:19:29 #829802

Hi everyone,

I am planning with a group of friends to hike part of Via Alpina from 26th of May to 30th May. We start in Engelberg – Engestalp, Engestalp to Meiringen, Meiringen to Grinwald, Grinwald to Lauterbrunnen.

Do you expect a lot of snow by that time? I don’t have winter boots (I have low cut perfect for summer time). Better to buy snow grips? I am particularly worried about the Jochpass, and the way to Meiringen (trail along Spycherflue).

Do those parts are problematic or even unpractical with snow or ice? I bit worried I can not make it. Is there public transport btw Engelberg to Engstlenalp?

Thank you, Amanda

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6279 posts
    9 May 2023 at 7:41:55 #954257

Hi Amanda,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Typically, the hiking season on the Via Alpina is between June and September. In May, part of the trail from Engelberg to Engstlenalp may still be impassable. This stretch includes an ascent of 1300m going over the Jochpass. The The Trubsee-Jochpass chairlift is currently closed for maintenance until mid June. Alternatively, you can travel directly to Engstlenalp by public transport (Postauto bus from Innertkirchen – check the timetable here: http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable).

The stretch from Meiringen to Grindelwald (between Meiringen and Grosse Scheidegg) also includes a difficult ascent and perhaps too early for hiking in May. But you can take a Postauto bus from Meiringen to Schwarzwaldalp, then continue with another bus to Grindelwald via Grosse Scheidegg.

You can find more information about the Via Alpina route here: schweizmobil.ch/en/hiking-in-switzerland/route-1

You can find practical tips on hiking in the Swiss Alps: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking

Regards,

Anna

Harry23
    Participant
    2 posts
    9 May 2023 at 8:41:51 #954258

Hi Anna,

Thank you so much for all this info!

Just one more question there is bus or other alternatives btw Engestalp to Meiringen? Or the only way is the hiking trail? Also there is a website where we can check/track which part os the trails are closed?

Many thanks

Amanda

Anna
    6279 posts
    9 May 2023 at 18:13:22 #954259

Hi Amanda,

From Engstlenalp, you can take a bus to Innertkirchen/Meiringen station. You can view further info here: http://www.engstlenalp.ch/en/

For trail conditions to Engstlenalp/Engstlensee, you can check the latest info on the Titlis website.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Engelberg – Lauterbrunnen trail, end of May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.