Hiking from Engelberg to Lauterbrunnen in 4 days?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2017 at 15:00:10 #810664

I am planning on 4 days of hiking from Engelberg to Lauterbrunnen. Does this seem accurate ?

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 January 2017 at 16:29:08 #858448

Hi mjsummit –

This may help:

http://www.wanderland.ch/de/r outen/route-01.html

75 km with some substantial ascents and descents.

You can find distances, topos, and altitude profiles.

When will you hike?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2017 at 18:46:38 #858449

the end of July .

Thanks.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    26 January 2017 at 15:14:21 #858450

This is a glorious stage of the Via Alpina (I’ve done the entire route from Sargans to Montreux). There are some challenging sections but as long as you are experienced mountain hikers you will do fine. In particular the bit from Meiringen to Grosse Scheidegg is one of the most stunning hikes in the entire country. However you will want to take advantage of the bus from Grosse Scheidegg to Grindelwald. The M to G section is quite challenging and GS to G is a knee beater, about 4K feet of downhill and not something you will be in the mood for after you make it to GS.

Likewise Grindelwald to Lauterbrunnen benefits from public transport assist. I’d do Grindelwald as far as Kleine Scheidegg (then on up to Männlichen if you wish) then take the train from KS down to Lauterbrunnen (via Wengen) or the gondola from Männlichen down to Wengen then train down to Lauterbrunnen. Don’t miss spending some time in Wengen, it is the most charming of all of the mountain villages in the BO in my opinion. Better yet, overnight there instead of Lauterbrunnen unless you are planning to stay hostel (there isn’t one in Wengen)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2017 at 23:28:03 #858451

Thanks a lot for the good tips.

I think we may detour from GS to First then trottibike down to Grindelwald.

Do you know if we can rent the bikes at First at the top of the lift ?

cost?

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    26 January 2017 at 23:46:06 #858452

Cool plan!

Once you arrive at First take the ski gondolas down to Bort, the intermediary station, and there you will find the bikes

SummitClym
    Participant
    41 posts
    27 January 2017 at 15:52:56 #858453

Great advise from Kim11. My son and I did this in late July 2014 when there was much more than normal rain and had to revise the itinerary quite a bit. First day involved Gondola from Engelberg to Trubsee then hiked through Jochpass, Engstlenalp, Tannalp, and was planning to hike down to Meiringen but due to rain and cloud cover we took the cable car from Planplatten. That was one full day.

Second day we planned to do Meiringen to Grindelwald but heavy rains had the Reichenbachfalls funicular closed and hiking this section wasn’t easily doable. So we used the Post bus. The falls were absolutely roaring! That made for a short day 2. The many options is what I love about hiking CH. We ended up going as far as Kandersteg on the Via Alpina then dropped into Leukerbad for some much needed spa and massage therapy. You are in for a great trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2017 at 0:11:33 #858454

thanks.

• The thread ‘Hiking from Engelberg to Lauterbrunnen in 4 days?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.