Fly in and out of only Zurich or Zurich & Geneva?

• Plan_Swiss
    Participant
    5 posts
    15 June 2018 at 8:48:16 #816655

When visiting Switzerland, it it better to 1) fly in and out from Zurich or 2) fly in to Zurich and fly out from Geneva?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2018 at 13:45:45 #888340

Hi Plan Swiss and welcome to MySwissAlps!

That will depend on your itinerary for your holiday in Switzerland.

You can book your flights around your holiday plans; or book you holiday plans around your flights.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 June 2018 at 23:32:07 #888341

Hi PlanSwiss –

Lucas has given you the correct and precise answer.

To take it one step further…

Where are you flying to/from?

And, of course, it can be influenced by your travel plans within Switzerland.

Makes a difference.

Slowpoke

Plan_Swiss
    Participant
    5 posts
    16 June 2018 at 0:54:35 #888342

Thanks for the reply.

Am flying from Singapore. Was just thinking if it’s worth travelling down to Geneva. Am looking at scenic trip, Swiss alps, some snow activity.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2018 at 7:18:19 #888343

Both cities are not close to the mountains and snow, so you’ll need to travel a bit by train either way.

Once you have planned where you want to go (https://www.myswissalp s.com/wheretogo) you can check the train schedules on the Swiss railways timetable to see how far it is from Geneva or Zurich. https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

I would not stay in either town and make day trips to mountains though. You’ll want to stay closer to the mountains during your stay.

Plan_Swiss
    Participant
    5 posts
    16 June 2018 at 9:39:51 #888344

Thanks much! I’m still in the early stage of planning. Will clarify again when I have any doubts. Thanks!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 June 2018 at 11:28:18 #888345

Hi Plan Swiss.

When are you traveling? It makes a difference in the high Alps. Do you plan any hiking?

Although there are some quite scenic mountains near Lake Geneva (see Montreux/Rochers de Naye):

http://www.myswissalps.com/mo ntreux/activities

I’d probably tend to fly into Zürich. You are closer to a wider range of Alps, even though Zürich is not close to the Alps itself.

Of course, as Lucas noted, figure out where you want to go, and then plan from there. There is excellent train service and Switzerland is only a large country when you compare it to Singapore 😉 . And, even the Swiss version of a modest hill is noticeable by Singapore standards. 😉

There are many useful maps, but I like this one for the perspective on the topography, and very clear presentation of trains and other transport once you zoom in to zoom level 32.

map.search.ch/

map.search.ch/?pos=640608,165728&z=32

You’ll note that Geneva is sort of at the tail end of the country, while Zürich has a more central location.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Fly in and out of only Zurich or Zurich & Geneva?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.