Entering Switzerland by car.

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 July 2015 at 11:32:28 #807599

HI,

We are travelling to Switzerland by car via Italy. Will we automatically be stopped at the border by Customs to show our Identity papers? we have a newborn who hasn’t her ID card yet, are there other forms of Proof of ID wan can bring for him, birth certificate, etc where can I find information on what is required.

thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15479 posts
    22 July 2015 at 18:17:21 #844631

Hi Alex,

You won’t be stopped necessarily. You may or may not, but usually not. You need to carry an ID at all times, not just when crossing the border. I don’t know about IDs for babies. I think they need to have an ID too, either their own or through their parents passport. But you’d better check this with the authorities. The website http://www.ch.ch might be helpful.

• The thread ‘Entering Switzerland by car.’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.