Entering Switzerland with Visa for Austria

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2016 at 7:57:49 #809184

Dear all,

I had applied for Austrian visa in the intention of visiting Austria and Switzerland.(first country of travel and maximum stay in Austria). I had to reschedule my trip because of delay in processing visa. I got visa after my travel date! although I had applied well in advance!

I have got Schengen multiple entry visa applied through Austria now. I want to travel directly to Switzerland first, and maximum stay in Austria. Is that possible? Is there any official link available to prove that?

Thanks,

Nisarga

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    13 May 2016 at 8:26:37 #851959

Hello Nisarga,

I’m sorry to hear that! I’m not an expert on this, but as far as I know you should apply for the country in which you’ll spend most days. That’s Austria in your case. Only if you’ll spend an exactly equal amount of days in several countries, you should apply for the Schengen country in which you’ll enter. More information is available at http://www.myswissalps.com/visa.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 May 2016 at 23:48:08 #851960

Hi Dr. Nisarga –

<<“I got visa after my travel date! although I had applied well in advance!”>>

Indeed, that is too bad.

Bureaucracies around the world respond at their chosen pace. ;-(

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2016 at 5:46:10 #851961

Dear Slowoke,

I had applied for Austrian visa on 22/04/2016. Travelling date was fixed for 11.05.2016.

I repeatedly called and e mailed and requested to process within travel date, as it was very much nearing. I had spend on airtickets and hotel bookings, passes etc. I had to wait till the end waiting and wishing to get my visa, but had to cancel all at the last moment loosing lot of money. And, the VISA was stamped on 11/05/2016, received next day!! And so much of visa fees!

At the end when I saw the visa seal, it says, I can travel for 8 days within 2/06/2016!

Still want to travel to Swiss !!

Regards

giftofgod
    Participant
    12 posts
    14 May 2016 at 5:49:48 #851962

Hi Sir

I do not think so, you will have to enter the country of the VISA obtained first and then any other Schengen Countries . But still check it again please with Schengen Visa web site

thanks

sanjeev

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2016 at 5:53:39 #851963

Hi friends, not to worry. you can enter and exit any schengen country any time and stay there as long as visa valid.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2016 at 5:55:53 #851964

Dear Dipchat,

Thank you for your response? Any link you can provide me to confirm, so that I can plan accordingly.

Regards

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 May 2016 at 7:34:21 #851966

One good thing – travel in early June will be at the very beginning of the summer season in the high Alps. Hotels and restaurants and some cableways that were closed in April and May for the “between seasons” maintenance, or holiday breaks for employees, will be opening up around then. For example, a hotel that I had planned to stay at in Wengen re-opens for the summer season on June 3 ( I had to cancel due to illness in my family).

Even then, winter at high altitudes may still be hanging on until bout June 15th, depending on just how high you are.

If you are planning to visit the Jungfrau region, for example, I’d suggest arranging for that part of your trip as late as possible. If you go in early June, many major facilities will be open, and some, such as the cograil train that runs between Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald, as well as up to Jungfraujoch, run all year. Quite a few hotels are open all year too. However, the Schynige Platte Bahn only starts up on May 28th, as another example of when winter is departing.

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/tou rism/travel-information/operating-information/hours-of-operation/

http://www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland

http://www.myswissalps.com/be sttimetovisit

At lower altitudes, such as Luzern, spring is well advanced even in early to mid May.

We all learned a lesson from your experience. Arrange for visas as early as possible in the trip planning process.

I’m certain that you will enjoy your trip. June is nice time to travel in Switzerland. In many places the meadows will have lots of wildflowers blooming.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2016 at 10:26:11 #851967

>> I have got Schengen multiple entry visa applied through Austria now. I want to travel directly to Switzerland first, and maximum stay in Austria. Is that possible? Is there any official link available to prove that?

Hi Nisarga,

Information on the official Swiss Federation website indicates that you can enter the Schengen Area through Switzerland with the visa issued by Austria.

It says:

Schengen visas are accepted in conjunction with a valid travel document for entry into Switzerland. If not otherwise noted, the Schengen visa is valid for all Schengen member states.

The authority responsible for issuing the visa is the embassy of the country in which you plan your main stay (i.e. in general the longest stay). If you are planning a round trip and intend to spend the same amount of time in several member states, the authority responsible for issuing the visa is the embassy of the country that you plan to visit first.

It does not matter which airport you arrive at or depart from, providing you stay no longer than 90 days in any 180-day period in the Schengen area. The number of entries applies to the whole of the Schengen area and not just to individual member countries (if not otherwise noted on the visa). Therefore you may travel throughout the whole of the Schengen area on the same visa for the duration of its validity.

Please note that Great Britain, Ireland, Romania, Bulgaria, Croatia and Cyprus are not part of the Schengen area and you therefore require separate visas for these two countries.

The Principality of Liechtenstein has been part of the Schengen area since 19 December 2011.

If you have any questions, please contact the Swiss Embassy responsible for the area in which you reside

The link for that information is:

http://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/e n/home/themen/einreise /faq.html

Click the link “Special information on Schengen” and read the information under “Entry with a Schengen visa”.

I would check with the Swiss Representation in your own country just to make sure. You can find contact details via the following link:

http://www.eda.admin.ch/eda/e n/home/reps.html

I hope this helps.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Entering Switzerland with Visa for Austria’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.