Entry to Italy from Switzerland - border crossing

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
bagsrpacked
bagsrpacked
8 posts
Nov 19, 2018 - 6:08 AM

We will be flying into Zurich and then taking the train to Milan. Are there any border regulations in order to enter into Italy?

Lucas
Lucas
9883 posts
expert &
Nov 19, 2018 - 8:08 AM in reply to bagsrpacked

Hi bagsarepacke,

No, once you are in Switzerland you are in the Schengen zone and there is no real border controls between Schengen countries anymore. Though there are random checks. Assuming you are American there is no visa requirement to enter Switzerland or Italy.

bagsrpacked
bagsrpacked
8 posts
Nov 19, 2018 - 3:02 PM in reply to Lucas

Ok. Thank you very much.

Peterli
Peterli
679 posts
top member
Nov 20, 2018 - 7:52 AM in reply to Lucas

<< Assuming you are American there is no visa requirement to enter Switzerland or Italy.>> Too bad this wasn't reciprocal. The Americans are not as easy for Swiss travelers as are the Swiss towards Americans. Although, I guess the Swiss economy gets more money in other ways.

Lucas
Lucas
9883 posts
expert &
Nov 20, 2018 - 8:05 AM in reply to Peterli

The Swiss need a visa to get into the US eh? Canada has an ETA (Electronic Travel Authorization) that is essentially a visa for most countries. Bit of a hassle to deal with I think.

Peterli
Peterli
679 posts
top member
Nov 21, 2018 - 8:09 PM in reply to Lucas

Hi Lucas,

I'm not impressed that countries like the USA require Swiss to have a visa while at the same time the Swiss do not require Americans to have one. I figure it should work the same on both directions. No doubt all of this is in the name of providing greater security to the American population, and yet the greatest threat, in my humble opinion, comes from the American people themselves. Requiring a visa is a complete turn-off for prospective tourists.

Lucas
Lucas
9883 posts
expert &
Nov 22, 2018 - 8:55 AM in reply to Peterli

I wholeheartedly agree. Why any European needs a Visa of some sort to visit Canada is beyond me. Though the ETA is not really a visa it is still a form to fill out and pay for. Bizarre. Thankfully my wife got her citizenship so now we can enter easily together!

I've enjoyed a few visits to Russia in the past and thought I'd have gotten there again since moving to Europe as it is fairly close now (compared to coming from Canada). I had hoped to do some long weekend trips but the visa requirements are such a pain I haven't bothered (yet)!

Peterli
Peterli
679 posts
top member
Nov 22, 2018 - 9:08 AM in reply to Lucas

I don't actually have a bucket list, but one thing I would like to do is go across Russia on the Trans-Siberian Railroad. I've seen videos of the trip in Winter and in Summer and can't decide which to do. If I was to go in the Winter I could do a side trip to Harbin and see the ice sculptures that they are famous for.

Lucas
Lucas
9883 posts
expert &
Nov 22, 2018 - 9:27 AM in reply to Peterli

I'm being bad and dragging this off-topic so last one!

I've done the Trans-Mongolian in the winter (St. Petersburg to Beijing via Ulaanbaatar and other stops) and really enjoyed the trip! I'm hoping to do it again in the summer one day - should be quite different! If you want to discuss fdurther someday feel free to email me at MSA's email.

Last modified on Nov 22, 2018 - 9:28 AM by Lucas
Peterli
Peterli
679 posts
top member
Nov 23, 2018 - 7:01 AM

Yeah, I am the guilty one, often moving away from the original topic.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018