EU global rail pass vs Swiss rail pass

• caps
    Participant
    1 post
    4 July 2019 at 1:48:33 #822635

Hi,

I’m planning to visit Zurich, Lucerne, Mt Titlis, Interlaken, Junfrau, Lauterbrunnen Wengen and Lugano in a 4 day trip planned for Switzerland. Current accomodation is close to main Zurich railway station. We are 4 adults and 1 child.

Apart from Switzerland I will be visiting multiple other Schengen countries in 15 day trip.
    For rail pass I have below 2 options:-
    1. EU pass for 10 days and swiss pass for 4 consecutive days.
    2. EU pass for 15 consecutive days.

Option 1 is around 950 Swiss Francs costlier compared to Option 2.

Can you please let me know if it is worth to go for option 2 ?

Thanks
    CAPS

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 July 2019 at 5:34:32 #916866

Hello Caps and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

The way to figure that out is to read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass), download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math. The spreadsheet also includes links to all the available passes. You need to have a good hard look at the coverage of the two passes. The Eurail Global Pass offers far less coverage in the Jungfrau Region and is focussed on train travel whereas the Swiss Travel Pass covers all modes of transport.

See:

Arno
    15471 posts
    4 July 2019 at 6:11:01 #916867

Hi Caps,

Rockoyster’s first link will help you find the answer. I find it hard to prefer one option over the other without doing the math. It depends on the details of what exactly you will be doing those days (e.g. does Lucerne mean just the town or also a boat ride/mountain top).

Note that there is no “EU pass” (that would exclude Switzerland). The Eurail passes include Switzerland as you can see in Rockoyster’s last link.

• The thread ‘EU global rail pass vs Swiss rail pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.