Eurail Global Pass with Swiss Half Fare Card

• Arctic_Wolf
    Participant
    40 posts
    15 January 2019 at 5:13:23 #819492

Hello,

When the promotional Eurail Pass came up I quickly jumped on it and saved about CHF500. Thought it was great until I saw the prices of the mountain rail, cable car, boat prices and public tpt and realised the saving would be gobbled up quickly, so not better off than if I bought the STP Flex originally.

Anyhow I’m thinking of getting the Half fare Card, at least getting a discount on all travels.

Would this work with the Eurail card?

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    15 January 2019 at 5:27:32 #902179

Hi Arctic Wolf,

If you plan to travel on a lot of cable cars not covered by your Eurail Global Pass then indeed you could save money with an additional Swiss Half Fare Card. If you plan to spend more than CHF 240 full price on such transportation it’s worth it, as the Swiss Half Fare Card costs CHF 120 and gets you 50% off.

In practice you will use one or the other: Eurail for the trains and the Swiss Half Fare Card for the routes not covered by Eurail. Further details are here:

Arctic_Wolf
    Participant
    40 posts
    15 January 2019 at 8:51:11 #902180

Thanks Arno.

I looked up prices for Brienze Rothorn and that in itself costs CHF 232 (for 2) so yes definately will be getting SHF card.

Also is it true that most/some hotels give out cards to cover local tpt as we will be staying in 8 of the main cities/towns in our 3 week adventure?

Arno
    15484 posts
    15 January 2019 at 9:18:02 #902181

Hi Arctic Wolf,

The cards available in some but not all towns, and what’s included is different per town. Our town pages explain about the cards if applicable. Some nice ones are available in the Montreux and St. Moritz areas, but in many other areas it’s only free traveling within town, discounts that are lower than with the Swiss Travel Pass / Swiss Half Fare Card, or no card at all.

For example:

• The thread ‘Eurail Global Pass with Swiss Half Fare Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.