Rail pass options for Germany & Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2018 at 11:20:26 #816485

My husband and I are planning a 9 days 8 nights trip to Switzerland and Germany. We will arrive at Zurich airport early morning and plan to take the train directly to Munich first. We plan to go to the Neuschwanstein castle +/- Linderhof palace for a day. Go to the Dachau concentration camp for another and maybe attend a football match if possible. We will stay in Munich for 3 days. Afterwards we will take the train back to Lucerne and stay in Lucerne for 2-3 days just to look around the city and go to Bern. After that we will go to interlaken and stay there for 3-4 days. We plan to go up Jungfraujoch, lauterbrunnen and Grindelwand. On the last day we will go back to Zurich for our flight.

I looked up the eurail 8 days 2 countries pass and Swiss travel pass for 4 consecutive days to compare the prices. It seems that if I buy Eurail, I will not have to buy a round trip to Munich and it I’ll cover most of my days in Europe but the downside is there is only 25% off the transportation to Jungfraujoch, Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald. Whereas if I buy the Swiss travel pass it will cover the above except for Jungfraujoch but then it will cover less days of my trip and I will have to buy some single trip tickets and my ticket to Germany separately. The price between the 2 seems similar (Eurail 8 days vs. Swiss travel pass + round trip to Germany), maybe Eurail is around (CHF 50 more expensive if I’ve done my calculations correctly). I’m just wondering which would be a better option as I cannot seem to find if those trips that aren’t included in Eurail are expensive and the rough price of single trip from e.g. Interlaken to Zurich (as 4 days of Swiss travel pass will not cover all the days I will be there for). Advice is much appreciated.

• The thread ‘Rail pass options for Germany & Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.