Eurail Pass or Swiss rail pass -which is best?

Eurail Pass or Swiss rail pass -which is best?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
prakashnarch
prakashnarch
2 posts
Jun 17, 2018 - 3:37 PM

Hi,
We are a couple - traveling with my wife visiting Switzerland end of July month.We are reaching Lucerne by train from Zurich airpoint. Plan is to stay 5 nights in Switzerland - 2 nights in Luzern, 3 nights in Interlaken, . We would likely do a day trip to Bern by train from Lucerne. At Lucerne, plan to do cog rail to either Mt. Rigi or Mt. Pilatus . Then we will travel by train to Interlaken. We are planning on visiting Jungfraujoch. And then planning to take train to Milan(Italy) from Interlaken.

My questions are:

1. For travel within Switzerland, is the best pass the Regional Berner Oberland pass or should I consider Swiss pass or something else? Which of the above trips I noted are fully covered in the Regional Berner Oberland pass, and which ones are discounted?

2. Other than getting the pass, I assume I also need to book specific train reservations using the pass, i.e. I can't just use the pass to board trains, correct? If so, which website should I use?

3. For the travel from Interlaken to Milan, are there multiple website options that are available to book trains, can you recommend any?

Thanks,
prakash

Lucas
Lucas
7275 posts
expert &
Jun 18, 2018 - 5:34 AM in reply to prakashnarch

Hi Prakash and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The Regional Pass Bernese Oberland could work, as could the Swiss Travel Pass. Have a look at the validity areas for each rail pass here to see what trips are covered fully or partially.

Yes, you can simply board any train fully covered by the pass without a reservation or extra ticket

You can look here for website options for tickets to Milan. If you have a valid rail pass that day you only need to book a ticket from the last town in the validity area to Milan.

prakashnarch
prakashnarch
2 posts
Jun 18, 2018 - 8:20 PM

Thanks Lucas

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018