About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Eurail or Swiss Travel Pass for 3-country trip?
MySwissAlps features ads, commercial and non-commercial links.

Eurail or Swiss Travel Pass for 3-country trip?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
May Leaw
May Leaw
5 posts
Nov 20, 2022 - 7:25 AM

Hi,

I am traveling to Switzerland 8 days in June 2023, places would like to visit are:

Brienz Cruise/Harden Kulm/brienz rothorn train.

Bern town/blausee lake/Spiez town.

First walk/Grindelwald/Lauterbrunne/Murren/ Schilthorn

Zermatt/Gornergrat train

Lucerne/Mt Rigi

Zurich

One day trip to Milan/Como island from Lucerne

after 8days in Switzerland, will be travel to colmar/strasbourg for 4n and one day train visit to triberg/gengenbach Germany.

After Strasbourg will be traveling to Paris for 4n.

Total 7n in Switzerland, 8n in France, not sure which type of transport pass should I buy?

Thanks in advance if you could advise me☺️.

Thanks and regards

May

Annika
Annika
7118 posts
expert &
Nov 20, 2022 - 1:37 PM in reply to May Leaw

Hi May,

Thanks for joining MySwissAlps! Nice that you get to visit Switzerland and France, plus bits of Germany and Italy!

The Swiss Travel Pass offers better coverage within Switzerland than the Eurail Global Pass. Some examples: transport witin cities isn't included in the Eurail Global Pass, the Jungfrau Region south of Interlaken (https://www.myswissalps.com/jungfrauregion) is discounted by only 25%, and there are no discounts for the Gornergrat train ride (https://www.myswissalps.com/gornergrat.

The best way to compare them is to have a look at the validity maps and browse the list of covered activities/discount percentages here:

If you won't be doing lots of train traveling while you're based in Strasbourg and Paris, the Swiss Travel Pass plus separate tickets for France and your 1-day trips to Germany/Italy might be best. If on the other hand you do plan to use public transport intensively while in France, the Eurail Global Pass would be a better fit.

If you want to be sure, you'd best make a list of plans and then start comparing. The step-by-step guide at https://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass can come in handy.

In case you need more information about train tickets for the German, French and Italian sections of your itinerary:

Does that get you started?

May Leaw
May Leaw
5 posts
Nov 20, 2022 - 2:33 PM in reply to Annika

Thanks so much Annika for your advice!

I will buy 8d swiss travel pass as per your advice ☺️👍🏻.

I would like to check further, with swiss pass I can travel up till Lugano for free? From Lugano I will need to buy train tickets to Milan? Same for Colmar, I can free travel from Lucerne to Basel, from Basel will need to buy train tickets to Colmar?

1960man
1960man
4378 posts
expert
Nov 20, 2022 - 9:53 PM in reply to May Leaw

I don't quite agree that a Swiss Travel Pass is necessary. From looking at your proposed itinerary, I am not sure that you are planning to do very many routes that are not included in the Eurail Pass. I suggest you investigate the cost comparison between:

Eurail Pass plus Swiss Travel pass

Eurail Pass plus full fare tickets where you need to buy them

May Leaw
May Leaw
5 posts
Nov 21, 2022 - 11:38 PM in reply to 1960man

Hi 1960man, Tanks for your reply.

From my itinerary, 1 day trip to Milan from Switzerland l, 1 day trip to Triberg and gengenbach Germany from Strasbourg, travel from Strasbourg to Paris. Stay 4n in Paris city not traveling out of Paris.

From the above itinerary, do i need a Europe rail pass?

Not sure is there a day pass to use in Milan,Como island? How about Triberg and gengenbach Germany, if there is any day pass I can buy?

Really appreciate if you could give me advice, thanks so much in advance ☺️🙏.

1960man
1960man
4378 posts
expert
Nov 22, 2022 - 12:35 AM in reply to May Leaw

I'm rather confused still by your overall itinerary. It now looks to me that you need a Swiss Travel Pass plus point to point tickets in the other countries, but travel in France and Italy is outside the scope of this forum which is about Switzerland. Swiss tickets or pass will be valid as far as the last stations in Switzreland next to the border - ie Chaisso (Milan border), Basel (French and German border)

You say "one day trip to Milan and 'Como Island' from Luzern" - that will be impossible in one day. I don't understand 'Como Island'. There is the city of Como and the is Lake Como a large alpine lake mostly in Italian territory.

For point to point tickets in France, such as TGVs it is best to buy a ticket as early as you can to get the cheapest fare. In Germany there are national cheap fares now to help people during the current financial crisis.

Anna
Anna
3904 posts
expert &
Nov 22, 2022 - 9:08 AM in reply to May Leaw

Hi May Leaw,

With the Swiss Travel Pass you can travel for free on public transport anywhere in Switzerland. So this should cover from any destination in Switzerland to Lugano and Basel. From Lugano to Milan you would need to get a point-to-point ticket. You can find details here: www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy. From Basel to Colmar and Strasbourg, you can find information about tickets here: www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/france.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

1960man
1960man
4378 posts
expert
Nov 22, 2022 - 8:48 PM in reply to Anna

Chiasso rather than Lugano is the place you need to get an Italian ticket to Milan

May Leaw
May Leaw
5 posts
Nov 23, 2022 - 1:56 AM in reply to Anna

Thank you so much Anna for the train info.

May Leaw
May Leaw
5 posts
Nov 23, 2022 - 2:01 AM in reply to 1960man

Thanks so much 1960man for the info, nearest station is Chiasso, really appreciate it ☺️👍🏻!

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More

Who's MySwissAlps.com?
We're passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about planning a trip to Switzerland since 2002.
More about usNewsletter signup

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2022