Rail pass / ticket for Italy, Switzerland, France?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2018 at 15:47:10 #814614

Hi lucas,

My family (2+2) planning to visit certain Europe countries from 29/3 – 10/4 by train. Thus, i need your advice on which is the best train (in term of pricing/journey) should i use for my trip. My tentative itinerary as below :-

29/3 – Fly to rome/venice Italy From Malaysia

1/4 – train to Switzerland

4/4 – train to Paris

Is there any 1 ticket for all which i do not need to buy multiples ticket for each trip?

Regards

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2018 at 17:05:23 #877707

Hi Sulaiman76,

So you could look at the Eurail Select Pass for 3 countries (France, Switzerland, Italy). It usually only works out as a good deal if you are doing several train trips in every country. It looks like only one in France and Italy though?

You could also look at a Swiss Travel Pass for 3 or 4 days (Switzerland only) and then buy tickets to Switzerland from Italy and to France from Switzerland.

You can use our spreadsheet to compare tickets and rail passes on our web page: How to choose the best rail pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2018 at 23:36:06 #877708

Yea, time is very tight. Only in rome/Venice & straight to Zurich. Same goes to Paris straight away to London

anyway, ur spread sheet for within Switzerland only or my whole trip start from Italy?

Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 March 2018 at 0:38:01 #877709

Hi, I’m a bit confused regarding Eurail chosen country

My flight to Italy from Malaysia is on the 29/3. Few days in Italy & then by train straight away to Switzerland (a few days). My last stop will be Paris.

so, should I choose :-

1. 1st country Italy or Switzerland?

2. 2 countries or 3 countries?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 March 2018 at 0:59:59 #877710

One more thing, this eurail cover for all local public transportations as well?.

Example

paris – Paris metro subway/buses

italy – Italy metro subway/buses

Switzerland – u mention cover all

thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 March 2018 at 10:22:38 #877711

Hi Sulaiman,

You should use the spread sheet for your whole trip. This way you can calculate whether the Eurail Select Pass for 3 countries (France, Switzerland, Italy) or the Swiss Travel Pass for 3 or 4 days (Switzerland only) combined with point-to-point tickets to Switzerland from Italy and to France from Switzerland is your best option.

If you decide to take the Eurail Select Pass, your first country will be Italy and you’ll have to buy it for 3 countries. Unless it’s cheaper to buy poit-to-point tickets in one country. Your spread sheet will tell you.

Generally the pass can’t be used on local services like the bus and metro. You can read more here about the use of the Eurail Select Pass in Switzerland

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2018 at 13:41:16 #877712

hi,

I hv confirmed my itinerary as below. a bit tight of schedule & basically i hv 2 1/2 days for each country. my main priority would be to enjoy snow with my family, a walking tour in zurich & other nice places which can fit my short trip in switzerland. perhaps u can assist me to come up with a detail & affordable itinerary plan in Switzerland. also to advice the best/affordable option of transport for our trip in Switzerland.

Appreciate your kind advice to me & many thanks

29/3 – Arrival @ Rome (2 days in Rome)

1/4 – Train/Flight to Zurich (2 days in Zurich)

4/4 – Train/flight to Paris (2 days in Paris)

7/4 – Train/flight to london ( 2 days in London)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2018 at 17:35:11 #877713

Hi Sulaiman76,

So we don’t create itineraries here. I can give you some help thought to accomplish what you want to do while here.

So if you have two days in Zurich, your best chance to be in the snow (and closest option) would be either Mt. Pilatus or Mt. Titlis. You can use the Swiss railways timetable to plan your train trip there from Zurich. Have you chosen a rail pass?

As for what to do in Zurich we have a list of ideas here (including a walking tour and a close mountain, though it isn’t high enough to have snow in April).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2018 at 23:26:21 #877714

Hi, both mountains adjacent to each other or very far?

Which is closest to Zurich, more affordable & high possibility to enjoy snow? Should I overnite or day trip?

anyway, haven’t chose rail pass?. May I know why?

thanks for ur advise

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 8:43:02 #877715

Mt. Pilatus is a little closer to Zurich than Mt. Titlis, but not by much. Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan the trips. Mt. Titlis has a better chance of snow for sure. A day trip to either mountain from Zurich is fine (but makes for a long day).

Have you decided on a rail pass for your trip? Earlier in the thread you were comparing the Swiss Travel Pass and Eurail Select Pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 9:46:53 #877716

Should I stay a nite at any hotel near to these mt? Any affordable hotel near by?

im thinking of using country to country train. RailPass a bit expensive. Almost 1k Euro for 3 countries. How abt Switzerland alome? Any specific pass like London pass or Paris pass

thanks again

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 10:49:24 #877717

Hi, any visa requirements for Switzerland trip? Or passport should be more than enough? Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 10:56:08 #877718

If don’t mind, based on ur experienced basically how much is the cost for a trip to enjoy snow ( day trip or a nite stay). Maybe Overall cost stay in Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 13:52:02 #877719

Based on my itinerary should I buy

1. Swiss half fare card or

2. Swiss travel pass

1/4 – arrived at Zurich station 3pm

2/4 – Lucerne/mt titles (1 full day)

3/4 – Zurich

4/4 – train to Paris

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 14:35:57 #877720

Hi Sulaiman76,

1. You don’t have to stay near Mt. Titlis if you don’t want to. You can make that trip from Zurich if you want. If you choose to stay closer, have a look at these hotels in Lucerne.
    2. There may be Visa requirement for you from Malaysia yes. Best to check with the Local Swiss embassy – your requirements should be the same as going to France or The Netherlands
    3. On a guess, hotel costs are around 150chf and a trip to a mountain may be about 100chf per person (but it depends on where you are coming from). Use the timetable to plan out your trip and see the costs for it & use the hotel links here to find prices on hotels in Lucerne or Zurich.
    4. If your only trip outside Zurich is to Mt. Titlis and Lucerne I wouldn’t buy a rail pass at all. I’d maybe look at a Saver Day Pass or just point to point tickets (you can buy a ticket to Mt. Titlis here)
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 15:07:50 #877721

This one should b ok? How abt Swiss half fare pass? Or point to point mush better & cheaper?

thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 18:20:13 #877722

I’m not sure what you mean by “This one”.

In order to know the cheapest pass for your specific itinerary you’ll need to add up the costs of the trips and compare that vs. rail passes. The link on my very first reply to you (How to choose the best rail pass ) has all the details.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 23:23:35 #877723

Hi,

This one I meant for my attachment but can’t send. Any way, I saw in ur website regarding viator come up with package for beginner ski experience at my Titlis with a price of USD 415 for 4 person (2+2).

With that that package then I might go for point to point train. Might be cheaper coz on th 2/4 only focus on Lucerne/Mt titlis

thanks .

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 8:00:57 #877724

hi Lucas,

Sorry bothering u again. I’ve a Q regarding Eurail Pass. This pass flexible to any points without to pay add cost? let say I buy 6 days pass :

30/3 – Rome – Naples/Pompei – Rome

31/3 – Rome – Pisa

1/4 – Pisa – Zurich

2/4 – Zurich – Lucerne – Zurich

3/4 – Within Zurich

4/4 – Zurich – Paris

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 8:14:31 #877725

So the Eurail Select Pass would be valid on those routes yes (assuming you buy the Italy, Switzerland, France product of course).

It wouldn’t be valid within the city of Zurich though on 3/4. You can see a map of the coverage area of the Eurail Select Pass here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2018 at 15:23:05 #877726

hi, i have some difficulties to apply for eurail pass. once i entered 4 person travelling together, they only show price for 1st class which is quite expensive. how abt 2nd class instead?

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 36 total)
  • The thread ‘Rail pass / ticket for Italy, Switzerland, France?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.