Eurail or Half Care Card for Italy & Switzerland?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Santa
Santa
5 posts
May 19, 2018 - 4:25 AM

We have the following itinerary

1) venice to interlaken

2) Interlaken to bern and back the same day

3) interlaken to Jungfraujoch and back the same day

4) Interlaken to Lucern

5) Lucern to Rome

I am not sure whether I should buy the Italy+ Switzerland rail pass or just the Swiss Half fare card. Also when I buy the rail pass, how do I book tickets where I can reserve the seats. Please advise as to what to buy and how to use these cards?

Thanks,

Santanu

rockoyster
rockoyster
3973 posts
expert
May 19, 2018 - 5:09 AM in reply to Santa

Hello Santa,

You might want to read:

Reservations are very rarely used on trains in Switzerland but generally required on trains in Italy.

Lucas
Lucas
9215 posts
expert &
May 19, 2018 - 2:52 PM in reply to Santa

Hi Santanu and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You may also want to look into a 3 or 4 day Swiss Travel Pass. In the end, doing the math to compare tickets & rail passes will tell you the rail pass best for your itinerary - Rockoyster's last link will help you do that.

Santa
Santa
5 posts
May 19, 2018 - 9:17 PM

Thanks for the responses. If I purchase the rail pass of Italy and Switzerland, how do I reserve seats for the Italy side. I am unable to find ways to reserve the seat online. Any pointers will help.

Thanks.

Santanu

rockoyster
rockoyster
3973 posts
expert
May 19, 2018 - 9:24 PM in reply to Santa

Try www.eurail.com/en/plan -your-trip/train-seat-reservations-guide/how-do-i-book/train-reservations-italy.

Also from the link I gave you earlier on Italian trains . . . “An alternative to booking a ticket to the Swiss border station, is to book a ticket for the "passholder fare". That's a ticket for the entire route for people who own a rail pass for Switzerland or Italy. The ticket is cheaper than a regular ticket because the leg covered by the rail pass is free. An advantage of this fare is that it includes a seat reservationfor the entire route, not just to the border. Passholder fares are not always available. If they're unavailable, you simply book to the border“. You can do that with the SBB Timetable (www.myswissalps.com/ti metable).

Santa
Santa
5 posts
May 19, 2018 - 9:31 PM in reply to rockoyster

Thanks so much. This is really useful.

Preethy
Preethy
31 posts
May 20, 2018 - 2:19 PM in reply to Santa

Italiarail worked out to be the cheapest option for us with Eurail Global pass.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018