Swiss franc exchange/credit card, SIM card

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Franks4duke
Franks4duke
5 posts
Oct 12, 2018 - 1:35 AM

I'm relatively new to the forum and have already received some great advice regarding rail travel! I have a few questions regarding currency.

When traveling to Zurich and Interlaken, would you suggest exchanging currency or can I use my American credit card? Where is the best place to exchange currency? And having never done that, do I take American cash to exchange? Also, how does purchasing a SIM card for my iphone work?Thanks in advance for your replies.

Lucas
Lucas
9242 posts
expert &
Oct 12, 2018 - 7:16 AM in reply to Franks4duke

Hi Franks4duke,

I prefer to withdraw cash at an ATM machine with my debit card when I travel. If you have US cash (or Euro if coming from another country in Europe) that you'd like to exchange I would just avoid the airport exchanges as they tend to have quite poor rates.

I've used Swiss railways offices to exchange money before (office in Zurich main station) and local banks.

Do be sure to have Swiss Francs on you as you will come across shops that are cash only. www.myswissalps.com/sw issfranc

For Sim Card details have a look here: www.myswissalps.com/si mcard

Last modified on Oct 12, 2018 - 7:18 AM by Lucas
Franks4duke
Franks4duke
5 posts
Oct 12, 2018 - 8:42 PM

Lucas,

I can’t thank you enough for your insight. The mobile hotspot looks like a great alternative for us. And we will definitely use the ATM to get cash.

One more question - my daughter will have her drone on this trip. She has searched to see what kind of guidelines and regulations are required to fly it in Switzerland. It appears she will need Drone Liability Insurance. Any insight regarding where to purchase? Thanks!

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5075 posts
expert
Oct 13, 2018 - 12:22 AM in reply to Franks4duke
Arno
Arno
11270 posts
expert &
Oct 13, 2018 - 6:27 AM

Hi Frank,

There are several threads in the forum about drone flying, including www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/using-camera-drones-in-switzerland. Please use the search box to find more. I don't know about insurance, sorry.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018