6 days based in Zurich – train planning help

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 February 2018 at 19:12:17 #814241

Hi,

Confirmed dates : Arriving at ZRH Airport on march 09 2018 at 10am and Leaving March 16 at 11am from ZRH Airport.

We have from MArch 10 to MArch 15 i.e approximately 6 days to travel in Switzerland. Looking for help to maximize travel scenic trips to Lucern (Pilatus and more) ,Interlaken (jungrfrau and more) and then after which I have a few options to go to Zermatt, brig,muster,and chug. I have a 7.5 yr daughter and need to get back to our hotel near the Zurich airport everyday that I need to consider as well.

Wanted to cover everthyhing in Lucern and Interlaken (even its 2 days each) . i.e scenic rail road either on glacier express or golden panaroma and the mountains either by cable cars, funicular railroad etc any beautiful routes that is a must see and rail transportation is a must please suggest, and leave last day for just traveling to Zermatt, brig, muster ,chug (any one or may be tw0)

Regards

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 February 2018 at 3:15:46 #875582

Hello juzeralia123 and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

You ” I have a 7.5 yr daughter and need to get back to our hotel near the Zurich airport everyday” is intriguing.

Zurich Airport is not a natural base for the things you have planned. You are going to be spending an awful lot of time in trains.

Use the Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to plan your travel. If you haven’t used it before it will pay to read the instructions on that page before delving into the timetable.

A typical visit for your timeframe might include a few nights in Lucerne and a few nights in the Jungfrau Region. Or from Lucerne you could go to Zermatt for a few nights then catch Glacier Express from Zermatt to Chur and back to Zurich.

A round trip from Zurich to Zermatt across to Chur and back to Zurich is over 11 hours train travel.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 February 2018 at 22:58:35 #875583

Hi Rocko,

Thank you for the reply. I will be either purchasing the flex or consecutive pass since I will be travelling in trains.

I am totally fine spending time Only in Interlaken Region and Lucerne region (Would you be able to please tell me the main train stops?) ! Taking a one days trip and come back to hotel and re-visit the same region and finish the other points that we left off.

Since Zurich Airport to Lucerne is 1 hr and to Interlaken is 2.5 hrs I think we should be fine spreading it over 4 days (2 days in location) .

Can you tell me please:

1. Lucerne: What are the main attractions to see in Pilatus and Rigi? anything else? (What is this region called? and the main types of train station stops?cable car stops, cograil/finical rails etc we wanted to experience different types of transport if possible

2. Interlaken: Do I need to get off at OST OR WEST station to get to Jungfrau .(What is this region called?) and the main types of train station stops?cable car stops, cograil/finical rails etc we wanted to experience different types of transport if possible. You can go to grindelwald, Wengen,Schiltohorn and Jungfrau but I do not see any time table for that? is there one?

Regards

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 February 2018 at 1:37:09 #875584

Hi juzeralia123,

To answer your questions:

1. For things to do in Lucerne see http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne. Pilatus, RIgi and Titlis are the main mountains to visit. The region is called Lucerne. The map you can download from this page http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity will show you what is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass and the names of stations and destinations and help you get your bearings. You can look up any form of transport on the Swiss Railway Timetable I linked to earlier (use the advanced version on the right of the page). Note the cog-wheel railway from Pilatus to Alpnachstad will not be running at that time of year but you can reach Pilatus via Gondola and Cable Car from Kriens which is a short bus ride from downtown Lucerne.

2 The Region is called the Jungfrau Region. To head up into the mountains you will need to take train to Interlaken Ost then change to train heading to Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald. Read about Junfraujoch here http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch/gettingther e and Schilthorn here http://www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn/gettingthere. Again the Swiss Timetable covers all routes.

• The thread ‘6 days based in Zurich – train planning help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.