• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2017 at 17:36:43 #811302

hello

I visit Switzerland on 12-16 november

I plan to visit around Lake Geneva, but I have not yet decided where

Most activities are closed during this period

Please help me decide where to go given the weather; cable Cars that are still open and other attractions

thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    7 April 2017 at 6:45:40 #861084

Hi DIDI27,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! You’re right, November is low season and quite some cable cars and mountain trains will be shut down for maintenance. I’d advise to pick the eastern part of Lake Geneva, near Montreux. You’ll find some very nice towns over there, and you’re closer to the mountains than in/near Geneva. Day trips to Geneva are still possible. You’ll also be able to make scenic train rides, e.g. into the Rhone valley or using the Golden Pass line up north. The Rochers-de-Naye train is available all year round. Further tips for this region can be found here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2017 at 8:03:42 #861085

Hi Annka

thank you for your advice!

i plan to rent a car- do you have tips for driving in this season?

my problem is to find attractions like glacier 3000 that open in this season

I’m not interested in reustaurants and want to enjoy amazing sights from top of mountains and interesting activities like Site “Mines de Sel de Bex”

please help me to find some

thank you!!!

Arno
    15483 posts
    7 April 2017 at 16:11:12 #861086

Hi DIDI27,

You’ll find driving tips on our car page. You really don’t need a car unless you have very specific remote locations in mind you’d like to visit. Driving in November should not be an issue, but there’s always a risk of Winter starting early. The highest pass roads will be closed but that won’t be a problem in that area.

A lot is closed for the season or for maintenance in November. So for cable cars and mountains trains it’s wise to check the timetable. Apart from the options Annika mentioned, city walks in Geneva and Lausanne can be nice if you’re interested in history and architecture. Also Chillon Castle near Montreux is worth a visit. Glacier 3000 should be accessible. If you don’t a long day trip you could visit Gornergrat. This is best done by train, e.g. from Montreux.

• The thread ‘Expert advice needed – Lake Geneva in November’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.