Explore Switzerland by a caravan in June 2021

• AhaRab
    Participant
    3 posts
    17 November 2020 at 23:30:48 #825733

Hi All,

I’m planning for a visit to Switzerland in June 2020 by a Caravan from Germany with my family, wife and 2 kids.

I would like to ask how long it takes, and what are the best spots to visit in Switzerland and have a night stay?

Our main intention is to start from Geneva, Lausanne, Montreux, The Matterhorn, Como, Bellagio, Lago di Mezzola, Lake Lugano, Interlaken, Lucerne, Zurich, The Rhine Falls.

This is just an idea, please if you have any other recommended places, we are mainly interested in the nature, but I don’t think we will go hiking with 2 kids 🙂

Thanks a lot for all your responses, they are highly appreciated.

Cheers.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 November 2020 at 8:06:58 #934449

Hi AhaRab and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Wonderful plan! I guess you were meant to write June 2021, right?

May I ask how old are your children? Do you or your kids like museums?

It depends on you and how you are traveling, are you a slow traveller or not. This summer we spent a week just in Graubünden (Davos and St. Moritz) with a caravan, it was amazing. Although we were also hiking a bit, not much just 2-3 hours per day on easier routes. My kids are 3 and 6 years old, we were carrying my smaller one in a special “backpack”. Also there are many shorter trails for families where you can play treasure hunt or you’ll find something interesting for the kids.

So it depends on you, you can easily spend a month (or even two) here if you have time but I recommend at least 2 weeks.

If you like nature I recommend these areas:

A few more links regarding the places you’ve mentioned:

I hope this helps you where to start your planning 🙂

Ildiko

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 November 2020 at 7:14:31 #934450

Hi AhaRab –

You will find a lot of useful general information about Switzerland on pages such as:

Getting Started…

http://www.myswissalps.com/gettingstarted

The main pages f the site also give some ideas abut whereto go and what to do.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15471 posts
    19 November 2020 at 8:16:34 #934451

Hello AhaRab,

Be sure to visit this page too in order to find good places to stay with your caravan: http://www.myswissalps.com/campsites.

Personally I would not change base too often. You can visit Geneva, Lausanne and Montreux from the same base, for example.

Rogerpeth
    Participant
    12 posts
    19 November 2020 at 10:16:33 #934452

Hello

In addition to the excellent suggestions listed already I would recommend looking at the TCS website. I have used their sites in Morges (for Geneva, Lausanne and Montreux) Sempach for Luzern, Thun for Interlaken. All wonderful sites and discount for membership to TCS but you can stay without membership and you need to balance cost of membership against discount. It worked for us because we stayed for many weeks. There is a great site in Visp Camping Muhleye, for Zermatt and public transport is easy from here as Zermatt is car free. They are also Part of a large pool complex. I don’t know anything about sites in the Lugano area or Zurich. Hope this helps. Roger

AhaRab
    Participant
    3 posts
    19 November 2020 at 10:42:56 #934453

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for your reply and the very helpful suggestions and links,

@Ildiko, my kids are 5 and the upcoming baby who will be 6 months by then 🙂 This is our first time to Switzerland, and we want to make the best of it, we will definitely visit it again, but not in a Caravan maybe. So for this trip we wanted to have a relaxing 2 weeks with sight seeing, and enjoying nature.

I will look at at the links shared by you all, and make an extensive plan based on that, there are some very helpful stuff in there.

Thanks again for your comments.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 November 2020 at 11:25:51 #934454

I see. Congratulation on the pregnancy 🙂

I am sure you’ll have a great holiday here in Switzerland.

Just a short addition: Be aware that under 2 years old high altitude is not always recommended, before visiting areas over 2500 m, you’d better consult your doctor. See more practical information on this page under “Preparation”: http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfraujoch

Let us know if you have more questions we are here to help,

Ildiko

AhaRab
    Participant
    3 posts
    19 November 2020 at 13:18:04 #934455

You guys are amazing, thanks a lot for the tip.

It seems we will come to Switzerland more often, 2 months doesn’t seem enough, not 2 weeks 😀

Thanks again,

Ahmad

• The thread ‘Explore Switzerland by a caravan in June 2021’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.