Swiss panoramic train seat reservations 1st class

• katie88
    Participant
    5 posts
    18 March 2018 at 4:15:38 #814830

I shall travel in Switzerland in mid-June to end of June. I already planned an itinerary that will cover all the express train routes. As I also confirmed the hotels, the day I ride each express is also fixed. I shall reserve seat for Glacier express due to popularity. I shall also reserve for Bernina express as it has a bus leg. I shall buy the pass when I arrive Switzerland. Can I reserve seats before having a pass?

I am not sure about the time of the day I board Voralpen, William Tell and Golden (interlaken to Montreux). If I have no reservation, is it possible that I cannot get on a train because seats are all booked?

I also think of buying 1st class pass – using the 20% discount. As 1st class seats are fewer, should I make reservations for all the express routes?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 March 2018 at 5:43:34 #879070

Hello Katie,

Reservations for Glacier Express and Bernina Express (train and bus) are mandatory. You won’t be able to travel without a reservation.

The Gotthard Panorama Express (formerly the William Tell) also requires reservations on the train leg. Reservations are not possible on the boat leg.

On the Golden Pass Line reservations are recommended on the Zweissimmen section during tourist season but are not mandatory.

None of the other trains you mentioned require reservations.

You don’t need to have your pass to make reservations. You just need it when you are on the train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2018 at 7:49:36 #879071

Hi Katie,

If you want to buy the Swiss Travel Pass, 1st class with the discount you’ll need to do so soon and online.

Buying online, even the at regular rates is much more convenient as well. Prices are the same and you will get the pass emailed to you for printing at home – no need to go into an office in Switzerland and wait in line to buy it.

katie88
    Participant
    5 posts
    18 March 2018 at 12:16:44 #879072

Thank you rockoyster and Lucas. I have decided the date but not the boarding time of the section Zweissimmen to Montreux. If I don’t reserve seat, will I stay at Zweissimmen that night 🙂 ? Is there other standard train or bus to take me to Montreux or even Lausanne? I shall stay at Lausanne that night.

I also heard that buying pass in person, I can get an information booklet with spaces for stamping. can be a good souvenir. If I buy pass online now, can I get the booklet later?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2018 at 17:05:29 #879073

Oh yes, lots of trains to take (and you can always stand if need be). Use the timetable to find all the possible train departures on your date of travel.

Hmm, I’m not sure about the booklet. I’m sure a nice person at the SBB office would give you one though!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2018 at 10:48:15 #879074

Hi Katie,

>> I shall travel in Switzerland in mid-June to end of June … the day I ride each express is also fixed … I am not sure about the time of the day I board … William Tell

I thought it might be worth mentioning that the Gotthard Panorama Express (formerly Wilhelm Tell Express) doesn’t run on Mondays.

If you were hoping to travel this route on a Monday, you could still do so on ordinary trains, and also incorporate the boat sector if you wanted to.

To get the Gotthard Panorama route including the boat sector, you will need to do a timetable search in two stages:

• “Luzern Bahnhofquai” to “Flüelen (See)”. Use advanced search, and limit the transport type to “Ship”.
    • “From Flüelen” “To Lugano” “Via Göschenen” and select trains as the type of transport. When you have chosen a connection, click on the plus sign to see the intermediate stops. If they include “Gotthard-Panoramastrecke” this confirms it is the Gotthard Panorama Express route.

The above assumes you would be starting in Luzern.

Alpenrose

katie88
    Participant
    5 posts
    19 March 2018 at 12:23:35 #879075

Thanks Alpenrose. You are very thoughtful. I shall travel on a Sunday. As I want to arrive Lugano earlier, I change my plan to travel by rail from Luzern to Lugano. I do want to follow the express route to avoid the long new Gotthard base tunnel. Your information is very useful. Just one more thing, do I find the timetable on sbb web site or anywhere else?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2018 at 12:50:20 #879076

Hi Katie,

You can access the timetable via this link: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. There was a link in Lucas’ response as well.

• The thread ‘Swiss panoramic train seat reservations 1st class’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.