Surcharges on trains running on panoramic routes

• jlovda
    Participant
    51 posts
    27 July 2017 at 12:53:34 #812763

1. Does the SBB now charge extra to take a train on the old Gotthard and Lotchberg mountain routes? I am not interested in the Gotthard Panorama special train. I sometimes want to switch trains between Andermatt and Goschenen (in either direction) such as going from Chur to Erstfeld or Bellinzona.

2. Is EVERY train on the RhB/MGB route from Chur to Andermatt considered GEX and requires an extra charge? I am not interested in tourist trains and just want to ride 2nd cl in a “local” train. I read somewhere that in the last few years the schedules at Chur were rearranged such that taking any train at a convenient morning time forced you to be on a GEX.

3. Does every MOB ride require a surcharge?

4. Can I pay the conductor any surcharge fees on the train or must I do it ahead of time in a station?

John

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 July 2017 at 13:28:31 #867497

Hi John,

1. No if you take a regional train on any route there is no reservation (or surcharge) fee.
    2. No, you can use the Swiss railways timetable here to plan your trips. The Glacier Express is noted as GEX and the Bernina Express as BEX – usually one to three departures per day
    3. Nope! Even when riding on a panoramic train on the Golden Pass route, reservations are not required.
    4. Not applicable for you. Really any “surcharge” is just a reservation fee for the special panoramic trains (which are mandatory except on the Golden Pass MOB panoramic trains).

Cheers!
    Lucas

• The thread ‘Surcharges on trains running on panoramic routes’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.