Surcharges on trains running on panoramic routes

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
jlovda
jlovda
38 posts
Jul 27, 2017 - 12:53 PM

1. Does the SBB now charge extra to take a train on the old Gotthard and Lotchberg mountain routes? I am not interested in the Gotthard Panorama special train. I sometimes want to switch trains between Andermatt and Goschenen (in either direction) such as going from Chur to Erstfeld or Bellinzona.

2. Is EVERY train on the RhB/MGB route from Chur to Andermatt considered GEX and requires an extra charge? I am not interested in tourist trains and just want to ride 2nd cl in a "local" train. I read somewhere that in the last few years the schedules at Chur were rearranged such that taking any train at a convenient morning time forced you to be on a GEX.

3. Does every MOB ride require a surcharge?

4. Can I pay the conductor any surcharge fees on the train or must I do it ahead of time in a station?

John

Lucas
Lucas
9622 posts
expert &
Jul 27, 2017 - 1:28 PM in reply to jlovda

Hi John,

1. No if you take a regional train on any route there is no reservation (or surcharge) fee.
  2. No, you can use the Swiss railways timetable here to plan your trips. The Glacier Express is noted as GEX and the Bernina Express as BEX - usually one to three departures per day
  3. Nope! Even when riding on a panoramic train on the Golden Pass route, reservations are not required.
  4. Not applicable for you. Really any "surcharge" is just a reservation fee for the special panoramic trains (which are mandatory except on the Golden Pass MOB panoramic trains).

Cheers!
Lucas

Last modified on Jul 27, 2017 - 1:29 PM by Lucas

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018