Extra costs with Eurail Select Pass in Switzerland

• Fillier
    Participant
    18 posts
    4 August 2017 at 18:00:53 #812854

My wife & I both seniors are traveling only by train with a 2 Country Select Flexi 1st class Pass with 6 days of travel. (Switzerland & France)

First leg of our trip is Paris CDG Airport to Epesses (a small town outside Lausanne). Have reserved seats on high speed train out of Garde de Lyon to Lausanne

The next day onto Villars Sur Ollon for a week, via Bex

Then onto Zermatt for 5 nights

Then onto Murren for 5 nights

Then return to Cully (a small town near Lausanne) by the Golden Panorama from Interlaken Ost to Montreaux. We have reservations for this leg of the trip.

Cully back to Paris. Highspeed train tickets reserved.

This will be the 6 days we use our Select Pass. We have been trying to understand what our pass will cover for travel from the large cities to the smaller towns. It looks like the travel from Lausanne to Epesses & Montreaux to Cully might be included? Is it?

The Lauterbrunnen to Murren & Murren to Interlaken portions, we are not able to determine what our pass covers & what the extra costs will be?

If anyone can tell us or give us a link to a website that provide this….that would be so great!

We also wanted advise on going back to the Jungfraujoch when in Murren. Would it be more cost effective to pay for the short leg of Cully to Villars sur Ollon & save one day of our pass for Murren to Jungfraujoch and return to Murren? We realize that some of the trains in the Jungfrau area are not included or are just discounted with our Pass, but it is difficult to see what is included & what the extra costs are?

Many thanks!

Happy Switzerland Travels Everyone!

Bryan & Susan Fillier

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    5 August 2017 at 6:33:37 #867908

Hi Bryan & Susan,

You’ll find details of what’s included on myswissalps.com/eurail selectpass/validity, particularly on the downloadable map and the detailed Switzerland section on that map. Nearly all regular town to town routes are included (Cully, Epesses, Villars-sur-Ollon, Zermatt, etc.). Mountain routes, including the trains south of Interlaken (Lauterbrunnen, Murren, Jungfraujoch), are discounted. You don’t have to use a travel day to get the discount. Typically you’ll get a 25% discount, sometimes 50%.

Fillier
    Participant
    18 posts
    5 August 2017 at 15:29:49 #867909

Hello Arno,

Thank you for your reply! Getting a discount without using the pass as a day will help.

Is there a website we can use to see the costs of the lifts & gondola’s for the Ollon, Zermatt & Murren areas & a schedule as to when they are running?

Mant thanks!

Bryan & Susan

Arno
    15484 posts
    5 August 2017 at 19:16:29 #867910

Hi Bryan & Susan,

For Zermatt and Mürren please see the links under “More information” on:

I’m not familiar with Villars-sur-Ollon but this website will probably answer your questions: http://www.villars-diablerets.ch.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 August 2017 at 5:35:12 #867911

Hi Arno,

You wrote “You don’t have to use a travel day to get the discount. Typically you’ll get a 25% discount, sometimes 50%.

This is an interesting feature of Eurail Flex passes.

The Eurail website (http://www.eurail.com/en/eura il-passes/eurail-pass-benefits/benefits-switzerland) says “You can obtain benefits locally by showing your Eurail Pass, or you can contact the specific benefit company in advance. The discount benefits apply during the validity of your Euail(sic) Pass, whereas free passage on trains, buses or ferries is only valid on travel days.”

If you are using the pass on a day for which you have not written the date on the pass is it just a matter of rolling up to a ticket office to discover how much discount you’ll get or is there a reliable way of predicting beforehand what discount you’ll get on what trips.

Question more out of academic interest than anything else.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2017 at 7:37:16 #867912

Hi Rockoyster!

From what I can find you have to walk-in and ask (and be pleasantly surprised hopefully with a discount of some sort)! All they suggest is contacting the company/business in advance to inquire.

Lucas

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 August 2017 at 7:46:35 #867913

Hi Lucas,

Thanks. Not sure if you are familiar with the term but to me it sounds a bit like a chook raffle. 😎

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2017 at 8:22:37 #867914

Ja sorry, that is one of those “down under” funny phrases. haha! 😉

Fillier
    Participant
    18 posts
    6 August 2017 at 16:53:09 #867915

Thanks everyone for all your comments & advise!😄

Can anyone confirm if there are any discounts on the trains from Murren to the Jungfraujoch, using this pass?

Happy Switzerland 🇨🇭 travels!

Bryan & Susan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2017 at 17:23:52 #867916

Hi Fillier,

Have a read through our Eurail Select Pass info page here to see where it is valid.
    There is a main attractions list and a PDF map. You will get 25% off Murren and to Jungfraujoch.

Lucas

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 August 2017 at 21:56:19 #867917

Hi Lucas,

What I don’t get is whether the map on page 3 of the PDF you referred to applies only to “travel days” or any day within the Flex validity period.

Fillier
    Participant
    18 posts
    6 August 2017 at 23:12:14 #867918

Rockoyster,

That’s what I have been trying to figure out? Even when I contacted Eurorail directly they could not tell me! Go figure.

Thank you to everyone here for all your help & advise!! It will help to make another wonderful trip & stay in Switzerland!

Cheers!🍾😄

Bryan & Susan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2017 at 5:12:21 #867919

Hi rockoyster and Bryan & Susan,

>> If you are using the pass on a day for which you have not written the date on the pass is it just a matter of rolling up to a ticket office to discover how much discount you’ll get or is there a reliable way of predicting beforehand what discount you’ll get on what trips.

All travel benefits are predictable (but can change from year to year), and detailed for each country for the current year on the Eurail site. For Switzerland, details are here:

http://www.eurail.com/en/eura il-passes/eurail-pass-benefits/benefits-switzerland

>> What I don’t get is whether the map on page 3 of the PDF you referred to applies only to “travel days” or any day within the Flex validity period.

Both, because that map shows both free and discounted travel routes. Free travel uses a travel day, but discounted travel doesn’t.

From the 2017 Eurail Pass Guide supplied with every Eurail Pass and also available online:

For Flexi Pass holders: Discounted travel and other benefits do not require use of a travel day. You can make use of the benefits at any time (even if you have used all your travel days) as long as they are used on a day that falls within your overall Pass validity.

http://www.eurail.com/en/eura il-passes/pass-benefits/travel-pack

By the way, the map on page 3 that you referred to is a separate map produced by the SBB, which has been attached to the map produced by Eurail. For Switzerland, I much prefer the SBB map, as it makes it much easier to compare what is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass with what is covered by the Eurail Pass.

The SBB has all its network and validity maps available for download from the “Downloads” area on the lower right-hand side of this page:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/railway-stations/trafimage/tra fimage-karten.html

I hope that makes things clearer.

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 August 2017 at 5:31:54 #867920

Thanks Alpenrose. The extract from the Eurail Pass Guide you quoted is the first thing I’ve seen that actually made it clear.

Annika
    7124 posts
    7 August 2017 at 9:49:32 #867921

Hi all!

We link to the overview of Eurail Select Pass discounts from myswissalps.com/eurail selectpass/validity (see the last point under “How the map works”).

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 August 2017 at 11:08:43 #867922

Hi Annika,

That’s true but you don’t explain what is available within the validity period but on “non-travel days”.

Arno
    15484 posts
    7 August 2017 at 15:41:27 #867923

Hi Rockoyster,

The top of that page says “You can travel on the free routes on your selected travel days only. You can travel on the discounted routes on any day”. But I am open to suggestion on how to rephrase that if it’s not clear. We want to be clear 🙂

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 August 2017 at 20:40:21 #867924

My apologies – when you put it like that Arno I guess it is pretty clear. Doh! 😖

• The thread ‘Extra costs with Eurail Select Pass in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.