Swiss Family Card & Swiss Travel System ticket?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2017 at 12:06:37 #813643

Hi. We are travelling as a family of 4 adults and 6 children (age 4-14 years old). I read that with the Family Card, children can travel for free if at least 1 parent is a holder of the Swiss Travel System Ticket. Is this Swiss Travel System Ticket referring to the Swiss Pass? Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2017 at 16:23:08 #871757

Hi Cloudcatcher,

There are several rail passes that qualify for use with the Swiss Family Card, including the Swiss Travel Pass – all are noted here.
    Most common would be the Swiss Travel Pass or the Swiss Half Fare Card.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 November 2017 at 23:12:31 #871758

Thank you Lucas. With regards to buying the tickets for my family at the website recommended by youso I only need to click on 4 adults and the family card right? I do not have to indicate the number of children tickets (which is 6) that I need right? Because when I do that, the prices of the children tickets will appear in the total cost.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 November 2017 at 8:00:07 #871759

Yes, you only need to make sure you add on the family card to your purchase. Children 5 and under don’t need a ticket or be listed under the Swiss Family Card (always free). Only children 6 to 15 need to be listed when you get the card.

I believe there is space for up to 4 or 5 names on the Swiss Family Card. If there are two sets of parents I would recommend getting two Swiss Family Cards.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 November 2017 at 13:14:28 #871760

Hi Lucas,

Can you tell me where at the website that I can choose to print the Swiss Rail Pass at home? I was at the booking page shop.swissrailways.com when I was asked to fill up the delivery address and it was indicated that it would take 2-3 weeks to arrive. Is the option to print from home only available after I have made the payment via credit card?

Thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 November 2017 at 16:51:51 #871761

You can have it emailed to you from any of these retailers here.
    With Swiss railways you do need to fill out your address before getting to the point where you can select the email option. Then select “online ticket” at the bottom of the list with shipping options.

• The thread ‘Swiss Family Card & Swiss Travel System ticket?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.