Swiss Family Card and discount for kids on STP

• shuchirumit
    Participant
    25 posts
    18 February 2018 at 16:57:31 #814410

Hi,

We are planning to buy STP plus family card for our upcoming Switzerland trip in May.

My questions are,

1) so far as I have read on this website, family card is for free for STP holder. Am I right?

2) I would like to know for some cable cars, gondolas or mountain lifs where the ticket rates are discounted for STP, how are kids charged? Do we have to buy tickets for them or they go free ?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2018 at 17:44:52 #876627

Hi shuchirumit,

1. Correct. You can order it along with the Swiss Travel Pass online here. If you’ve already got the STP you can request a free Swiss Family Card at any rail station office.
    2. Children covered under the Swiss Family Card are always free within Switzerland.
    shuchirumit
    Participant
    25 posts
    18 February 2018 at 17:55:08 #876628

Lucas,

Thanks a lot for prompt response.

The heading may seem misleading but one more question <

I am keen on visiting a good castle.

1. Oberhofen Castle and Thun castle are the same or different?

2.If we have time to visit only one castle then which should be preferred ? Spiez castle or Thun/Oberhofen castle?

shuchirumit
    Participant
    25 posts
    18 February 2018 at 18:01:43 #876629

Sorry for the half information.

We are staying in Grindelwald for 4 days thus considering one of these castles.

My rest of the itenerary includes 4 days in Lucern, 1 day BEX, 1 day Zurich – I feel there is no scope for other castle apart from above mentioned.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2018 at 18:11:52 #876630

There are quite a few castles around Thun, including Spiez. I’ve had my fill of castles in other countries in Europe so haven’t visited any here yet. 🙂 But the Interlaken tourism page has good details on them to help you choose.

The castles around Thun are indeed a good opportunity for your itinerary and some of the nicest I’ve seen around Switzerland. I choose my castles based on how the exterior impresses – I rarely go inside, but Schloss Oberhofen looks the best to me!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2018 at 17:17:28 #876631

Hi shuchirumit,

Oberhofen is the prettiest exterior and has some nice gardens nearby and a good café on main road nearby as well – Berger confiserie tea room – castle is closed on Mondays which may affect your decision. Thun is bigger and has more exhibitions – good view over the town from towers at top. more military history than Oberhofen. open every day. Plenty of nice places to eat in Thun and a market on Wednesdays and Saturdays. You might have time to visit both as they are only a short bus ride apart.

Views over the vineyards and the lake are nice from Spiez but the other two are a bit easier to get to from transport point of view. Schadau is currently closed for renovation. Hunegg is between Oberhofen and Thun but not so much to see there unless they have a special exhibition this year. We once saw an exhibition of ceramic chamber pots there! Another year they had exhibition in grounds of vintage cable cars and gondolas. Don’t know if they have anything planned for this year.

Maggie

shuchirumit
    Participant
    25 posts
    21 February 2018 at 9:06:22 #876632

Thanks a lot Lucas for the insight.

shuchirumit
    Participant
    25 posts
    21 February 2018 at 9:07:02 #876633

Thanks a lot Maggie for the wonderful insights

• The thread ‘Swiss Family Card and discount for kids on STP’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.