How to find family coach on a Swiss train?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2018 at 19:56:00 #815566

I’ve heard some trains have family coach or a family zone with games/etc for the kids. We will be travelling from Luagno to Lauterbrunnen (mennagio to wengen will be full destination). I can’t seem to figure out if any of the trains on that route have that, or if there is any option to get a train with a family coach? I am checking bahn.de, but not sure what I should be looking for? Thanks very much. We are still trying to decide on whether to drive or train and this would definitely put it the train as the way to go.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 April 2018 at 20:29:12 #883428

You won’t find family coaches on that route. Have a look at this thread http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/regarding-family-coaches-in-switzerland-trains.

Also read http://www.myswissalps.com/ca rversustrain before settling on train. Although getting from Menaggio to Lugano is tricky by train. There is only one bus per day and reservations are compulsory. You may have to look at ferry to Varenna and train from there if you don’t drive.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2018 at 20:48:36 #883429

thanks. Yea the bus to lugano was my next thing to figure out, or worst case pay a lot of $$ for a driver/taxi. I’ve been thinking of driving the whole route, but it seems everybody keeps suggesting to use trains. Seems like driving will cut 2 or 3 hours off my trip, plus save me the headache of bus and transfers, but I’m trying to see if I’m missing anything because the response has been overwhelmingly “take the train”.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2018 at 2:47:51 #883430

Hi James,

For trains trips in Switzerland it is always best to use the Swiss railways timetable. It notes “family coaches” as FA on the timetable.

It usually is a resounding “take the train” chorus from us yes 🙂 But sometimes it isn’t practical for larger groups, families etc. Where else are you traveling here? It may be worth the hassle for you on this specific trip or it may be better to just get a car right away.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2018 at 3:00:44 #883431

5 nights in wengen (still figuring out where to go for day trips) then off to stresa lake maggiore

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2018 at 7:54:35 #883432

Be sure to read through our what to do in the Jungfrau region page for ideas.
    As for trains vs. car travel only you an decide on the end what is worth it for your family.

The Jungfrau region is really easy to do by train or cable car (often must-do) but southern Switzerland (and Italy in smaller towns/areas) seems easier to do by car.

Arno
    15483 posts
    3 May 2018 at 18:51:56 #883433

Hi James,

If you’re going to have a car in Menaggio, then see if you can drop it in Como. Taking trains into Switzerland is easy from there, and you won’t need a car in Switzerland. Especially in Wengen, which is car free and so is most of the region.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2018 at 19:10:28 #883434

Wont have a car, we are getting a car specifically for the drive from menaggio to lauterbrunnen. Any way i check, car cuts off several hours travel time

• The thread ‘How to find family coach on a Swiss train?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.