How to find family coach on a Swiss train?

How to find family coach on a Swiss train?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
james8080
james8080
14 posts
Apr 27, 2018 - 7:56 PM

I've heard some trains have family coach or a family zone with games/etc for the kids. We will be travelling from Luagno to Lauterbrunnen (mennagio to wengen will be full destination). I can't seem to figure out if any of the trains on that route have that, or if there is any option to get a train with a family coach? I am checking bahn.de, but not sure what I should be looking for? Thanks very much. We are still trying to decide on whether to drive or train and this would definitely put it the train as the way to go.

rockoyster
rockoyster
3924 posts
expert
Apr 27, 2018 - 8:29 PM in reply to james8080

You won’t find family coaches on that route. Have a look at this thread www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/regarding-family-coaches-in-switzerland-trains.

Also read www.myswissalps.com/ca rversustrain before settling on train. Although getting from Menaggio to Lugano is tricky by train. There is only one bus per day and reservations are compulsory. You may have to look at ferry to Varenna and train from there if you don’t drive.

Last modified on Apr 27, 2018 - 8:36 PM by rockoyster
james8080
james8080
14 posts
Apr 27, 2018 - 8:48 PM in reply to rockoyster

thanks. Yea the bus to lugano was my next thing to figure out, or worst case pay a lot of $$ for a driver/taxi. I've been thinking of driving the whole route, but it seems everybody keeps suggesting to use trains. Seems like driving will cut 2 or 3 hours off my trip, plus save me the headache of bus and transfers, but I'm trying to see if I'm missing anything because the response has been overwhelmingly "take the train".

Lucas
Lucas
8909 posts
expert &
Apr 28, 2018 - 2:47 AM in reply to james8080

Hi James,

For trains trips in Switzerland it is always best to use the Swiss railways timetable. It notes "family coaches" as FA on the timetable.

It usually is a resounding "take the train" chorus from us yes :) But sometimes it isn't practical for larger groups, families etc. Where else are you traveling here? It may be worth the hassle for you on this specific trip or it may be better to just get a car right away.

james8080
james8080
14 posts
Apr 28, 2018 - 3:00 AM in reply to Lucas

5 nights in wengen (still figuring out where to go for day trips) then off to stresa lake maggiore

Lucas
Lucas
8909 posts
expert &
Apr 28, 2018 - 7:54 AM in reply to james8080

Be sure to read through our what to do in the Jungfrau region page for ideas.
As for trains vs. car travel only you an decide on the end what is worth it for your family.

The Jungfrau region is really easy to do by train or cable car (often must-do) but southern Switzerland (and Italy in smaller towns/areas) seems easier to do by car.

Arno
Arno
11162 posts
expert &
May 3, 2018 - 6:51 PM

Hi James,

If you're going to have a car in Menaggio, then see if you can drop it in Como. Taking trains into Switzerland is easy from there, and you won't need a car in Switzerland. Especially in Wengen, which is car free and so is most of the region.

james8080
james8080
14 posts
May 3, 2018 - 7:10 PM in reply to Arno

Wont have a car, we are getting a car specifically for the drive from menaggio to lauterbrunnen. Any way i check, car cuts off several hours travel time

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018