Family to Switzerland in June, need rail advice

• Somesh828
    Participant
    2 posts
    4 March 2018 at 7:42:29 #814607

Hi,

We are family of 4…2 adults and 2 kids aged 8 and 14. We are in Switzerland from 13th June to 19th june and we intend to start our journey from lausanne on 13th morning.

1. Want to see chocoate and cheese factory near Broc and connect with golden passline after visiting these factories.

2. Visit jungfro and visit on top by cogway.

3. See zermatt, do cable car and ice palace and then go for glacier express

4 visit lugano and then do gotthard express to Lucerne.

5 visit mt titlis, do cable car and see rhine falls later.

Our flight is on 19th morning from zurich

I am confused how should I connect these places as our time span is less. What kind of pass should we look? Passes are for either 4 days or 8 days but we are there for 6 days…how and where should we make combination of ticket and pass if possible to make best use of money. Kindly advise

Thanks!

Somesh

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2018 at 16:31:38 #877686

Hi Somesh and welcome to MySwissAlps!

So it it were me I would travel from Lausanne to Zurich:

1. Broc (stay in Lausanne the 13th?)
    2. Zermatt (stay overnight on 14th & 15th?)
    3. Lugano (overnight 16th)
    4. Lucerne (overnight 17 and 18)
    5. Zurich (head to Zurich airport in the morning – if your flight isn’t too early. It would only take about 1 hour from Lucerne)

Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out all the train trips for details on length and connections. Do you have your overnight stays planned? Are you wanting to spend one night at each destination?

For the best rail pass you’ll need to plan out all your train, bus, cable car trips and do the math to compare passes. We have a web page on for how to choose the best rail pass (with spreadsheet) to help you.

An 8 day Swiss Travel Pass can still be the best economically if you do enough travel per day to make the price worthwhile.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 March 2018 at 19:40:17 #877687

Hi Somesh,

You don’t say how you are arriving in Lausanne or if you are staying there. Montreux is a nicer place to stay I’d say – right on the lake.

Please note “The Chocolate Train runs again from 1 May. As a result of the construction works, guests are taking the bus in Montbovon. The bus takes them to Gruyères, to Broc and back again. This probably applies for the entire season until 31 October. The program is not suitable for travellers in wheelchairs.”

If you take the Chocolate Train excursion it is a round trip from Montreux. It does not continue on the Golden Pass Line to Spiez so if you want to do that make your own way to Broc.

Somesh828
    Participant
    2 posts
    5 March 2018 at 6:28:53 #877688

Thank you Lucas and Rockoyster!

I will go through timetable first and get timings.

Is there any luggage storage available at Montreux incase we dont decide to stay in montreux but directly go to Zermatt in the evening after CHoc+cheese factory tours?

if i am just buying standard tickets instead of passes for adults, Can i still buy junior card or co travel card for kids to save cost…is it possible?

How do i buy glacier express ticket from zermatt to andermatt and gotthard express ticket from Lugano to Lucerne on SBB? when i try finding tickets, many train connections pop up and i am unable to find these train timings and price. Kindly guide on this.

Thanks!

Somesh

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 March 2018 at 10:43:53 #877689

Hi Somesh,

Yes, there is luggage storage available. Read more about luggage options here– there is a link there to sbb.ch (rail station services) you can use there. Click the link for station and services at the top and search for Montreux for the operating hours of the office and prices/sizes of the lockers.

Yes, you can still buy the Junior Travel Card. If you like you can do that here online.

The Glacier Express is denoted as “GEX”. Alternatively you can buy tickets here. The Gotthard Panorama Express is denoted as “GPW”. Tickets can be purchased here as well.

• The thread ‘Family to Switzerland in June, need rail advice’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.