Family vacation!!!

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2015 at 19:05:50 #807014

Hi

I am planning a vacation with my family at the end of August. We are looking for a relaxed holiday and intend to make one city/town as our base and take day trips as per our convenience. We were contemplating making Zurich as the base. Would this be the right choice??? Where all can we go if we stay in Zurich? The travellers include an infant and my mum who is 64 years old.

Thanks,

Anurag

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    24 March 2015 at 20:08:19 #842137

Hi Anurag,

Thanks for posting here. Zurich is not a good base to see Switzerland because it’s not in the mountains. It’s a wonderful town but not a place to spend your entire vacation. Assuming it’s the Swiss Alps you want to see, basing yourself in Lucerne would be an option. From there you can do all kinds of trips to the mountains, boat rides on the lake, and a day trip to Zurich is possible as well. Another option is the Jungfrau region, with Interlaken as the central town with good train connections, and Grindelwald, Wengen, Mürren and Lauterbrunnen as smaller villages in the mountains. There are many more options. Please see this list of larger towns in the mountains to get started.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2015 at 20:25:47 #842138

I would strongly recommend Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen, Wengen or Murren. In these places you are in the mountains and close to lots of options that are family friendly. You will not run out of things to do from any of these locations.

• The thread ‘Family vacation!!!’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.