Fantastic 2 weeks- Luzern,Murren,Zermatt,Appenzell

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2018 at 21:31:23 #816806

Hi, just got back from a great 2 weeks in beautiful Switzerland with our family of four and wanted to share some of the highlights. Thanks for this great forum and website for helping us plan!

We loved having the Swiss Travel Pass so we could just get on trains, boats, most cable cars and into museums without any hassle. When we arrived at the Zurich Airport, the line to buy train tickets/passes was huge so I was so glad we had printed ours at home (https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ price). Places we stayed:

Lucerne for 4 nights at Hotel Anker. Fantastic hotel. Pretty modern, great breakfast, amenities and location. My daughter and I are big runners so running in this amazing country was like a dream. In Lucerne, we ran along the lake in both directions from the train station and both were beautiful. There is a great dirt trail right by the lake all the way to the Richard Wagner museum which is soooo pretty. There are also lots of great dirt trails in the forest area right above town. The Manor dept store has a great rooftop eating area and good prices on food. Took a day trip to Bern and Murten which we loved. Also really enjoyed the boat rides on the lake and the trip to Mt Rigi.

Murren. Stayed in a 3 bedroom apartment called Bim Chilchli right in the center of town. It was great to have a washing machine at this place and it was much more reasonably priced than any of the hotels. Getting to Schilthorn was a breeze with the cable cars. You must do the Thrill walk in Birg on the way down or up to Shilthorn. It’s truly thrilling.

Run or walk the Lauterbrunnen Valley is a must. Spectacular scenery. My daughter and I took the train/cable car from Murren to the valley one morning, then ran along the valley floor to Stechelberg, then cable car back to Murren. Also ran one morning from Stechelberg the other direction up a beautiful dirt road that went on forever along gorgeous scenery and eventually to a waterfall. I highly recommend! Gimmelwald brewery is great! Our apartment had a fondue pot so we bought ingredients from the Coop (they have fondue cheese in packages) and made it 2 nights in a row. Delicious and much more affordable! Had a great dinner at Hotel Edelweiss. They have a “family” meal that feeds 4-6 people for $92 SF.

Zermatt. Loved Hotel Jagerhoff . Best day was taking the funicular from the Rothorn station to Sunnega (1/2 price with Swiss pass). Then hiked to the Gornergrat train station (can’t remember the trail) and had a drink at the small restaurant there with the most amazing Matterhorn view. Then took the train down. Took the Glacier Express to Chur and then onto Appenzell. We brought a bunch of food/drink on board and were so glad we did. Those who ordered lunch were waiting a long time for everything to arrive and it was very expensive.

Appenzell. Hotel Freudenberg above town had a gorgeous view of the town and super comfy accommodations. Gass 17 restaurant had great food and prices if you go before 6pm! Amazing running in this area along rolling green hills, cows, sheep, and the cutest Swiss chalets you’ll ever see. Ebanalp is a must do! Quick train ride and then a cable car to get there and make sure you walk to the restaurant hanging on the cliff. Had an Appenzell beer on the deck there. Spectacular scenery.

Hope some of this helps and hope everyone enjoys this amazing country!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2018 at 3:50:28 #889040

Hi steslow,

Thanks for your great trip report, complete with handy tips! I enjoyed reading it, and I’m sure many people will find it useful.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2018 at 7:06:36 #889041

Thanks for taking the trip to write up the report steslow!

Always super helpful especially hotel recommendations. The Ebenalp was a great trip I took last year – that restaurant is in a spectacular location! Next time you’ll have to hike up!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2018 at 8:41:07 #889042

Hi, steslow

Thanks for the great trip report! Your comments are useful. Much appreciated.

• The thread ‘Fantastic 2 weeks- Luzern,Murren,Zermatt,Appenzell’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.