Fastest route from Zermatt to Chexbres-Village?

• daifei888
    Participant
    41 posts
    21 May 2018 at 6:18:48 #816132

Hi,

My wife and I will be travelling on train from Zermatt to Chexbres-Village.

I have checked on the SBB railway website and it suggested me to take the following route (2 transfer, total 3 hours 4 minutes):

1) Zermatt –> Visp

2) Visp –> Vevey

3) Vevey–> Chexbres-Village

The train frequency is only one train for every hour.

However, it is quite confusing to me as when I checked the timetable from Zermatt to Visp only, it showed 2 trains for every hour.

I saw some people made more transfers (made an additional transfer at Montreux before making another transfer at Vevey). Was this due to more train frequencies from Montreux to Chexbres-Village, as compared to Visp to Montreux Chexbres-Village?

Can someone advise, thanks a bunch!!!

Best regards,

Alvin

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 May 2018 at 7:37:14 #885937

Hello Alvin and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

The SBB Timetable will always show you the fastest route by default.

There are in fact many ways to go depending on whether your priority is speed or scenery. For example you could go via Kandersteg and Zweisimmen for the most scenic route. You could go Visp to Bern to Lausanne on fast trains but less scenery and slower anyway than your selected route.

Some trains from Visp heading towards Montreux may not stop at Vevey on way through. That’s just speculation on my part. You just need to play around with the timetable until you get the result you need. In Switzerland there is almost always more than one way of getting from A to B.

daifei888
    Participant
    41 posts
    21 May 2018 at 7:53:39 #885938

Hi rockoyster,

Thanks for your reply.

My priority is speed for this route.

For scenery, I am planning to take the Golden Pass Panoramic View train to Grindelwald.

Oh, something just popped up in my mind.

I know that we can take the Golden Pass train from Montreux -> Zweisimmen -> Interlaken Ost -> Grindelwald.

But can we start taking the Golden Pass train from Visp?

I plan to keep my luggage in the coin lockers at the Visp station (on my way from Zermatt to Chexbres-Village), and then collect my luggage from the Visp station and take the Golden Pass train to Grindelwald.

Therefore, I am planning to have a speedy route from Zermatt to Chexbres-Village, and then a panoramic route (Golden Pass) from Visp/Montreux to Grindelwald.

Can anyone suggest a best route?

Thanks !!!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 May 2018 at 8:20:58 #885939

Well the Golden Pass Line (http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass) runs between Montreux and Lucerne so Visp is not an exactly ideal starting point. You would leave the GPL at Interlaken to get to Grindelwald. The nearest point from Visp to join the GPL would be Spiez but then you would miss the best bit between Montreux and Zweisimmen.

Do I understand you correctly that you plan a return trip from Visp to Chexbres-Village and then head for the GPL? That seems strange as the GPL starts at Montreux which is near Chexbres-Village.

daifei888
    Participant
    41 posts
    21 May 2018 at 13:38:07 #885940

Hi rockoyster,

Thanks for pointing out my error. Yes, you are right, GPL starts at Montreux which is near to Chexbres-Village.

Now I understand why I read from articles that ppl stored their luggage at Montreux when they traveled from Zermatt to Chexbres-Village (instead of storing their luggage at Visp). This is because even though they could save 1 transfer/stop on their trip from Zermatt to Chexbres-Village, there is no way they can collect their luggage at Visp as the Golden Pass Train does not stop at Visp.

In this case, I would make such route:

1) Zermatt –> Visp –> Montreux (store luggage) –> Vevey –> Chexbres-Village

2) Chexbres-Village –> Vevey –> Montreux (collect luggage) –> Zweisimmen -> Interlaken Ost -> Grindelwald

Does this route make sense now?

Thanks,

Alvin

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 May 2018 at 21:01:02 #885941

Hi Alvin,

That is certainly the logical way to go.

Glad I saved you a trip back to Visp (and back). 🤓

daifei888
    Participant
    41 posts
    22 May 2018 at 2:36:38 #885942

haha!!! Yes, you did save me a trip back to Visp (and back)!!!

Thanks again Rockoyster!!!

• The thread ‘Fastest route from Zermatt to Chexbres-Village?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.