Fastest route to Mount Rigi from Engelberg?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2019 at 9:18:42 #822643

Hi Everyone,

I am visiting Switzerland in the last week of July this year. I have 2 kids along with me, aged 6 years and 4 years. Would like to know the exact route to Mount Rigi from Engelberg which requires minimum walking. Have read about the 2 different routes that is: fom Goldau and from Vitznau. What I understand is that the route from Goldau requires less of hiking. However, not sure about the connecting points as in where to get down and from where to take cog wheel or steam train or cable car. Pls help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    4 July 2019 at 12:11:30 #916880

Hi trips, welcome to MySwissAlps!

There are even three options to get up to Rigi, including the one via Rigi Kaltbad by cable car from Weggis: myswissalps.com/rigi/g ettingthere. This one requires a 15 minute uphill walk in Weggis though, so that’s probably not what you prefer. The quicker routes are those displayed by the SBB timetable by default: those via Weggis and via Vitznau. There’s not much walking involved in Vitznau, as the boat dock is really close to the railway platform. So you’d travel to Lucerne by train, to Vitznau by boat and then up to Rigi by cogwheel train. All details are in the timetable: myswissalps.com/timeta ble.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2019 at 17:18:59 #916881

Thanks Annika, the information is really helpful.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2019 at 23:51:46 #916882

Fastest way is Engelberg – Luzern – Arth Goldau as that is all by train. Arth Rigi Bahn (the blue liveried Rigi train) departs from above the main line station platforms in Arth Goldau station.

The slower alternative is Engelberg – Luzern (ZB commuter trian) – Luzern quayside – Vitznau (boat) Vitznau -Rigi (VRB railway – the red coloured Rigi train)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2019 at 19:52:14 #916883

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the information.

• The thread ‘Fastest route to Mount Rigi from Engelberg?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.