Fastest trip from Nice to Wengen - rail or plane?

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
mposson
mposson
4 posts
May 2, 2018 - 12:41 AM

We are planning on spending 3 days in Wengen, and are coming from Nice. I do not relish the idea of an 11 hour train ride to get to Wengen, and I was wondering if flying would be a good option? If so, what airport should I fly into from Nice? Bern? Also, in total travel time, would I save time flying vs taking the train?Thanks!

Lucas
Lucas
10496 posts
top member
May 2, 2018 - 6:20 AM in reply to mposson

Hi Mposson and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes about 10.5 hours is the quickest train route. The Swiss railways timetable always gives you the most direct routing,

I don't think you'll find any direct flights to Bern airport from Nice - it is quite small. You're best bet would be Basel I think (price-wise as EasyJet flies that route). The flight is a little over an hour (plus check-in time etc) and then from Basel airport to Wengen is a little more than 3 hours. Overall you'd probably save about 3-4 hours travel time?

mposson
mposson
4 posts
May 2, 2018 - 2:11 PM in reply to Lucas

Thank you, Lucas. It looks like Basel is definitely the option, as flights there are also much cheaper :) The 3-4 hours saved will definitely help.

mposson
mposson
4 posts
May 3, 2018 - 12:26 AM

However looking into it further, we are leaving Nice on a Sunday, and the flight options seem pretty limited if we want to arrive in Wengen by 7pm

Lucas
Lucas
10496 posts
top member
May 3, 2018 - 5:53 AM in reply to mposson

THe other airport options would be Geneva or Zurich. Milan could theoretically be an option too, but use the timetable to compare overall times.

mposson
mposson
4 posts
May 11, 2018 - 4:55 PM in reply to Lucas

Just an update: I got a flight from Nice to Geneva at a decent time and price for Sunday! Thank you for the help!

Lucas
Lucas
10496 posts
top member
May 12, 2018 - 5:10 AM in reply to mposson

Great. Happy Travels!

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019