Fastest trip from Nice to Wengen - rail or plane?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
mposson
mposson
4 posts
May 2, 2018 - 12:41 AM

We are planning on spending 3 days in Wengen, and are coming from Nice. I do not relish the idea of an 11 hour train ride to get to Wengen, and I was wondering if flying would be a good option? If so, what airport should I fly into from Nice? Bern? Also, in total travel time, would I save time flying vs taking the train?Thanks!

Lucas
Lucas
9918 posts
expert &
May 2, 2018 - 6:20 AM in reply to mposson

Hi Mposson and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes about 10.5 hours is the quickest train route. The Swiss railways timetable always gives you the most direct routing,

I don't think you'll find any direct flights to Bern airport from Nice - it is quite small. You're best bet would be Basel I think (price-wise as EasyJet flies that route). The flight is a little over an hour (plus check-in time etc) and then from Basel airport to Wengen is a little more than 3 hours. Overall you'd probably save about 3-4 hours travel time?

Last modified on May 21, 2018 - 12:57 PM by Arno
mposson
mposson
4 posts
May 2, 2018 - 2:11 PM in reply to Lucas

Thank you, Lucas. It looks like Basel is definitely the option, as flights there are also much cheaper :) The 3-4 hours saved will definitely help.

mposson
mposson
4 posts
May 3, 2018 - 12:26 AM

However looking into it further, we are leaving Nice on a Sunday, and the flight options seem pretty limited if we want to arrive in Wengen by 7pm

Lucas
Lucas
9918 posts
expert &
May 3, 2018 - 5:53 AM in reply to mposson

THe other airport options would be Geneva or Zurich. Milan could theoretically be an option too, but use the timetable to compare overall times.

mposson
mposson
4 posts
May 11, 2018 - 4:55 PM in reply to Lucas

Just an update: I got a flight from Nice to Geneva at a decent time and price for Sunday! Thank you for the help!

Lucas
Lucas
9918 posts
expert &
May 12, 2018 - 5:10 AM in reply to mposson

Great. Happy Travels!

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018