Fear of full boat Lucerne to Alpnachstad

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2017 at 21:11:57 #812168

In search for a single seat I spent hours looking at every July Glacier Express from St. Moritz. I found only 3, yes I have one reserved. I intend to enjoy Mt. Pilatus via boat, cog, trams, etc. I have read just show up at the dock with my 1st class Swiss Travel Pass but after my Glacier Express experience I worry. I am unable to find the ability to make reservations for July 14. I hope you know of a way for me not to be left on the dock. Many thanks for all advice and experience you share. I have enjoyed reading so many postings.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 June 2017 at 1:03:13 #864710

Hi waktravel-

<<“I intend to enjoy Mt. Pilatus via boat, cog, trams, etc. I have read just show up at the dock with my 1st class Swiss Travel Pass but after my Glacier Express experience I worry. I am unable to find the ability to make reservations for July 14. I hope you know of a way for me not to be left on the dock.”>>

Not to worry. The GEX has very limited capacity and is widely promoted. Seats are hard to reserve.

In contrast, the boat from Luzern to Alpnachstad does not allow you to reserve a place, because the capacity is well above the number of people who make that trip. Those boats hold a lot of people!

And, it is a short trip and most people will be wandering around looking at the scenery, not using the seats provided ( not reservable.)

The way not to be left on the dock is to show up on time, or perhaps 5 minutes early.

In July, the returns on the cograil may have a line waiting at busy times. . Have you also looked at returning via Kriens?

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Fear of full boat Lucerne to Alpnachstad’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.